Difference between NCFE and OCN hedgelaying?

Rebel_Commando

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on different hedge laying qualifications?

I've been looking around for a short course to attend over the winter. So far I have found 2 courses relatively local to me, one is a level 2 NCFE course over 3 days priced at £75 and a level 2 OCN course over 5 days priced at £400.

What would the major difference between these 2 courses be? (apart from £325!)

As far as I'm concerned the only qualification that really matters is wether or not you've been "accredited" by the NHLS, before that it's all about experience and wether or not the job suits you etc. If you're looking into training to learn hedgelaying from scratch, have a look at the NHLS website NHLS - Training opportunities

I know that did not answer your question, but I hope it still helps.

Thanks for the reply Rover,

I have been checking out the NHLS site out for training local to me but nothing has come up as yet.

I'm not a total novice as such, I have helped my grandad and dad laying hedges in my younger days. I do love being outdoors, my first job was working on a large scale forest tree nursery, growing trrees from seed and harvesting by the million every winter to go for forest plantations and hedges.

The tutor for the 5 day course is a guy called Karl Leibscher, he seems well respected in the hedge laying world and advertises that he does work on Prince Charles Highgrove estate. So I think thats the one I'm going to try to get onto if nothing come up with the NHLS in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the reply Rover,

I have been checking out the NHLS site out for training local to me but nothing has come up as yet.

I'm not a total novice as such, I have helped my grandad and dad laying hedges in my younger days. I do love being outdoors, my first job was working on a large scale forest tree nursery, growing trrees from seed and harvesting by the million every winter to go for forest plantations and hedges.

The tutor for the 5 day course is a guy called Karl Leibscher, he seems well respected in the hedge laying world and advertises that he does work on Prince Charles Highgrove estate. So I think thats the one I'm going to try to get onto if nothing come up with the NHLS in the next couple of weeks.

If Karl Leibscher's teaching then go on it. He's a good cutter.

The course is at Green Wood Centre near Ironbridge so about an hour-ish away from me. I think thats the one I will go for, as long as I can get those dates off work!

Haven't been there for ages. Felled and milled a lot of the timber for them when it was set up. Take a look at the crucks in the barn. They describe them as oak but they're sweet chestnut:001_smile:

• 2 years later...

just seen post and kArl is a good cutter one of the best as for qualifications as other posts the only acreditation is NHLS but havee to been laying hedges for a while before you can apply as for 5 days will learn the basics plus get confident. but see if you can find a local cutter to you who will let you help out to gain experiance

I ended up doing the 5 days with Karl about 2 years ago now. Seems I do have the general knack for laying a hedge. Welsh border style is straight forward enough. I do need a lot more practice on binding a midlands style though!

I bind a few and everytime I have to think about it:001_smile: Simple when you get into the flow.