Fruiting body on a Silver Maple in Los Angeles

NickfromWI

I have never posted a pic of a fungus for ID before, so not sure what the procedure is, but here goes nothing!

I happily admit that I just about nothing about fungi. I went and saw a tree last week and saw this. Just wondering what it is and what it might mean...

Oh- it was on a silver maple Acer saccharinum that is maybe 30-40 years old and was topped maybe 5-8 years ago very heavily (down to about 10' tall) and now has lovely decay pockets throughout the entire tree. The tree is located about 1 mile from the ocean.

love

nick

59765dee4697c_PhotoAug1825444PM.jpg.36dff4c8431a0f213da8c5cdb7f28fe8.jpg

59765ded99714_PhotoAug1825444PM.jpg.74cdc3281d2433d3f6e2c3c91324fd10.jpg

it was on a silver maple Acer saccharinum that is maybe 30-40 years old and was topped maybe 5-8 years ago very heavily (down to about 10' tall) and now has lovely decay pockets throughout the entire tree. The tree is located about 1 mile from the ocean.

Nick,

To young to identify. Annual or perennial, spore colour, characteristics of the crust, colour and toughness of trama and tubes, colour and shape/size of pores, possible panic fruiting (sterile bracket), white or brown rotter, etc. ?

What Gerrit means is go back in a day or 2 and get more pics, pick it and get photos of the underside as well then post it here again. Maybe a photo or 2 of the tree might help as well. The more photographic evidence you have, the easier it is for the fungi nutters to identify it and give you an accurate description of whats going on:thumbup:

Sorry for the fungi nutters comment but you are all crazy :001_tt2: