Help! What vehicle do I need for my wood yard?

tree888

Hi there, continuing my trend of daft questions from the new starter.....I have the use of a yard and have acquired a stock of douglas, poplar and lime cord that I will be making firewood and kindling out of. I naively thought that I could safely manually handle logs 4m long and 10in diameter but they are just a bit too big.

I therefore need a handling machine that can grab a log or two at a time to bring it to the Japa cross-cutter. I also need the machine to be able to fit forks so I can move pallets around and put on pallet racking 2m to 3m off the ground.

I have looked on the internet at tele-handlers and also Bobcats but the choice is bewildering. Any bright ideas? Clearly the cheaper the better! Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on budget, but If I was buying something for your purpose, I would seriously look at a Jcb 2cx airmaster. 4wd and 4ws making it very nimble in tight spaces. Some come with quick hitch (or you can add one later) for fast changing from bucket to forks etc. £5k should get a nice one.

(rear compressor is also a handy bonus)

Google Image Result for http://www.trevorjohns.co.uk/GIF/Stock%20Portraits/JCB%202CX%20Airmaster.gif

I had the same problem this time last year, looked at telehandlers,all terrain fork/bucket loaders and in the end brought a 4x4 tractor loader with bucket and pallet tines.

Its a large tractor 100hp which gives it good power/lift and reach plus it gives me the option to run splitters-processors off the rear pto should I need to in the future.

Of the other machines mentioned your more restricted but each do their intended job really well.

Budget is a huge factor though,I started with a 5k budget and realised it wasn't going to get me an honest tidy machine and ended up spending 10k!!

now use a leyland 262 tractor with a high lift front loader with a gripe for lifting logs on to the processor, stacking dumpys, loading and unloading trailers, got a winch on the rear, so it can winch then load the timber onto trailers. only 2 wd so needs good tyres with ballast so you don,t get stuck. cheap and reliable