juglans root area

cerneARB

looked at a Juglans regia this week. 2 years back the land opposite was built on , the usal road , houses ecte. the walnut owner thinks they cut through the root area within 2-3 meters of the woody roots. The owner said the tree does slightly move in wind. I looked at it and heres what i found...

1) two slight soil cracks on the side were the construction work happend 3-4 foot long moving away fom the butt

2)No soil cracks on the opposite side

3) good crown condtion , slight signs of die back on construction side crown

4)tree did not flush last year at all , but has this year with fruit.

5)tree is 16-18 meters high with 4 co dominat leaders, i leader heavy on construction side.

6) target area is public footpath and road and housing easate

I think the tree has partial root failure and is attempting to re root (hence the good flush this year) but because of the target area it may need removing.

Should i carry out further investiagtion on damaged roots? Crown reduce to lessen sail area or fell?

I think the client wants it felled , he is worried about being held liable if it fails.

Thanks, Cerne.

Given the target area and the fact the client wants it felled, removal is the easy option.

If you can convince the client to pay for further investigation I guess you could air-knife the root system on the suspect side to see where/if damage has occurred.

Thing is, as you can't remove/relocate the targets, how confident would you be to retain the tree if you find some damage to the roots which you think is structural?

i know ther customer wants it gone..its just a shame its a lovely walnut. i was just wondering if their was another option aprt from felling. Ive contacted the local council Tree office and see what he thinks..but i think felling is whats goning to happen because of the high target area...shame.

Is it tpo'd, or in conservation area? If so was it covered under existing regs re:development sites? If none of above, straight forward decision really, with a recommendation that you replace with a more suitable tree, in a more suitable location. Good luck.

client reckons that it had tpo on it before the construction work and they removed it when the construction work started..seems strange that. il find out this week when i hear from Norfolk council. i would have thought a tpo tree would have had its root area protected under construction work around it, although nothing susprises me sometimes with short cuts made by contractors and councils.

Excemptions for TPO trees

1) Dead,dying and dangerous (be careful!!)

2)When required to remove under Act of parliament/when requested to do so by a govt department or specified authority

3)Where a tree is obstructing development for which planning permission is already given (check carefully)

4)Fruit trees (not 100% if this is still correct)

5)in order to overcome a nuisance (be really carefull)

6)when the trees are covered by a plan of operations which has been approved by the Forestry Commission and is force, or if the Commission has issued a felling licence.

It is prudent for the owner to give the planning authority not less than 5 days notice of any proposal to fell a protected tree, the only exception to this is in the case of an emergency.

Be really careful to check out your facts before under-taking any work on a TPO tree, consult with the LPA and keep them informed, even if you think you qualify for excemption, take plenty of photos of any structural damage, fungi, damaged limbs, you made need them to prove your case later.