Winch idea ... what do you think ?

Pat Ferrett

Curious comment tirfors not for lifting I know of a guy that uses tirfors for lift monster sized steels in place also mine t35 has 5t pull 3t lift on its makers plate.????

What I should have said was it should not be used for lifting. LOLER would be applicable and you would need to have a dedicated lifting system due to steel cable micro erosion to the pulleys. If you were only to use a fee meters of cable perhaps a Lugall would be better? Certainly lighter!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what you say and it sounds a good idea but for me 'NO WAY' will I use any 'horizontal winch for vertical lifting' to me horizantal winches are not rated for lifting only pulling.

I used to work on heavy engineering in the 70's and to me any piece of lifting gear has a rating load and a test date on a talley or it's not used.

To put it simply if a pulling load fails - the pulling wire rope can whiplash but the load stops. With a lifting failure the whole load drops with no warning.

Check with makers directly for the limits of their product use limitations.

To put it simply if a pulling load fails - the pulling wire rope can whiplash but the load stops. With a lifting failure the whole load drops with no warning.

Check with makers directly for the limits of their product use limitations.

very true but if you do it right then you will have one person on the winch doing the lifting and another on the lowering rope taking in the slack. So there wont be any dropping of the load. Also for the whiplash of the cable you could set the winch horizontal (attached to another tree) if possible, redirecting the cable with a pully at the bottom of the tree, with some kind of whiplash stopping thing (technical term required) on the cable. this being said you wouldnt overload the cable anyway if you were clever about it.

Cheers for your thoughts :thumbup1:

I only came up with the idea 10 minutes before I posted on here so very much in the infancy stages.

Just get fed up when a limb needs lifting a couple of feet to free it and thought a little winch would help.

I could use a fiddle block but winches are more my thing :001_rolleyes:

I here where you coming from with refrence to electric and your right.

A Tirfor is alot larger than anything I was thinking about Just a small hand winch is more in tune with My thoughts

very true but if you do it right then you will have one person on the winch doing the lifting and another on the lowering rope taking in the slack. So there wont be any dropping of the load. Also for the whiplash of the cable you could set the winch horizontal (attached to another tree) if possible, redirecting the cable with a pully at the bottom of the tree, with some kind of whiplash stopping thing (technical term required) on the cable. this being said you wouldnt overload the cable anyway if you were clever about it.

Whiplash can be part prevented by using swivels, well they did when I was on deepsea tankers not sure about tree work.

The base safety factor is 50% breaking is full load, with slings being being 1/7th so a 1 tonne sling breaks at 7 tonne giving a large safety factor for wear/stress etc. So if used correctly you should not have a whiplash problem:sneaky2:

Been thinking on the safety bit and all I can think of is a horizontal winch will not have a brake or one rated for lifting. Of interest most truck electric winches are not rated for lifting.

But the idea is brill - just needs present winches upgrading:thumbup1:

:001_huh:My Tirfor has a 5 ton pull and 3 ton lift, of course they can lift. You can even use blocks with them.

It may have a 3 ton lift but what back up could you use if you use the cable? If you were to use it to lift you would have to offset the Tirfor and use it to pull the rigging line which you could use with a back up hitch. I personally would only ever use a Tirfor to pull.

Whiplash can be part prevented by using swivels, well they did when I was on deepsea tankers not sure about tree work.

The base safety factor is 50% breaking is full load, with slings being being 1/7th so a 1 tonne sling breaks at 7 tonne giving a large safety factor for wear/stress etc. So if used correctly you should not have a whiplash problem:sneaky2:

Been thinking on the safety bit and all I can think of is a horizontal winch will not have a brake or one rated for lifting. Of interest most truck electric winches are not rated for lifting.

But the idea is brill - just needs present winches upgrading:thumbup1:

I saw ray mears once use a bivy bag wrapped around the cable when he was pulling a landy out of sand once, maybe if you saved up all your old cutting trousers you could use them instead :thumbup: