Scandinavia

Hello :)

I am looking for work abroad preferably in Scandinvia (anywhere will do tho) and I was wondering wheres the best places too look for work abroad? I have been looking on here and Arbjobs but they don't seem to have many jobs and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction!

I am a freelance climber at the moment, I have been a climber for around 6 months but have been working in tree surgery for about 2 years! I have my chipper ticket and cs 30, 31, 38, 39 at the moment but I am hoping to have a few more in the next couple of months! Any help would be appreciated Regards Joe!

dont just look in stockholm its not the best place at all. go to the swedish and danish and norwegian comp meet people and see what the crack is yer stockholms great and has big companies and loads of people but it aint the best by far. i worked there and hated it and now live in goteborg and much prefer it. as for work go to the comps and meet people i know that it can be a tough market due to the english guys and their low prices i refuse to play that game and do it the swedish way and ask for proper money hence my gf works for 200 a day here. and she just chips. dont get sucked in by the first offer just so you can get here it isnt worth it i turnede my first offer down and ended up in aus and now live here so it was worth it in the end. oh and if you do get here try and learn swedish it is mad hard but worth it. good luck though there are endless possibilities here.

know what you mean jarnii, the uk chaps undercut all the swedes, which screws people up in the long run if they want to stay... i worked near falkenberg but not in gotheburg, stockholm indeed isnt for everyone, myself included but its a good place to get a foot in the country.

jarnii is you gf f-skat??? if so it would be best to point out that as f-skat you give not quite but close enough to 50% ( i think its 47%) so out of the 200quid you get to keep a little over 100 and giving the extra living costs (it costs me nearly double in food bills than in the uk and the price of a pint is a joke). If some one is employing her at that rate as a groundie can i have their number????

hey dilz,

yer its 50% for sure well thats the maths i do but i dont smoke drink do drugs or gamble so i dont have any expenses really i climb for fun (ice and rocks) so all thats through the books and just go to the gym and the food bills are down to the individuall i think for me and my missis we spend 800kr a week and eat really well but we dont do gautukok or statoils or dagens just make it instead and have a great food life so too be honest i havent noticed the increase in bills, ive actually found the rent to be cheaper and the apartments to be better than the uk so on the whole i feel it balances out but the life here is so much better so i dont care. i was in falkenberg the other week nice place i reckon, where are you at now...

as for earning she just drags branches so if i was on that dollar when i started id be chuffed and after a few payrises she will be on good wage so i think even though the 200 is 100 its still not crap money.... i think some of the guys in stkhm get 120 english for a days subbying as a climber. not sure if you know anything about that??

If people in stockholm are willing to work for 120GBP a day then thats their problem! i came out and started on over 2000sek (200gbp) a day paying uk tax, free accomadation, albeit in a flat, with no windows, wiring that could kill and not much else. Stockholm is now getting quite competative in my opinion, lot more companies now than even 2 years ago, I charge for subbing 350sek - 450sek per timma, but taxes and expenses and unreliable work, winter, july when every one buggers off!!! mean that you have to charge that sort of money to live through the quite times,

For those who read this wanting to come over, its all about getting to right contacts, and a little bit of luck, dont try looking for work out here form october till about march, as the season really winds down, though some people will still look to replace those who cant hack the winters.

alot of guys, swedes included are what i'd call cutters not arborists, good climbers mind but kommunes are now wiseing up, which is a good think for me. When i rented it was lots cheaper than when i lived in oxford, and i gave up the sauce after the first 6 months - honestly any one who is interested in comming to sweden to work, be prepared, a quite few after work will probably cost well over £50, a good night out in stockholm once cost me just shy of £300, and thats was mostly on just me, £5 - £8 pints, and the spirits.......well its enough to make this old rum head weep.

I stopped drinking and took up rock climbing, again lads and ladies, it will save you loads of money, its good fun and the indoor climbing gyms in stockholm are great to hang out and meet healthy athletic memebers of the opposite sex.

Now i think about it i started on £35 a day dragging brash...........

Jarnii i'm down in Smaland at the moment, about 40km from Kalmar, (no known climbing gyms round here:( ) but will be heading towards Halland province over winter and next year, i'm now on a traffikverket project and will be heading up on a stretch that way.

My mate is moving to your neck of the woods soon i think, if so you guys should meet, he's a keen climber, ice climber fell klattra etc, and not too bad on the rope and saw, top bloke despite his mullet.