First attempt with the Alaskan

Jamespepperpot

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the pics shows a C clamp on one of the 2x4's that are supporting the small log or that pic of the slab. It acts like a stop. I have since refined this a little by switching to quick clamps made by Irwin. I got a super long one and now clamp one end to a scrap piece of wood to the bottom of the support 2x4's cross ways and clamp the other end on top of the log. Sometimes you have to make a little flat spot for clamp. As the saw gets close to the end of the cut I just undo it and finish the cut.

A little trick I got into was to enter the log at a 45 degree angle with chain pulling the log into the mill . The log pretty much stays in place while your sawing but you still have to keep an eye on everything because the vibration can move the log sideways. After getting into the cut you can saw at any angle you want.

I forgot to mention that I also built this thing to be able to do some edging . I have stuff to do that also. Haven't really had a chance to play with those attachments because we have been too busy doing tree work and that comes first.

Edited by Ax-man

Good work James!

How do you find it compared to the 361? Loads more power and torque presumably, but how heavy/user-friendly?

Guessing you plan to buy a longer bar at some point too?

Would appreciate your feedback, I having the same thoughts...

Cheers,

Andrew

Yeah I bought it with a 30 inch bar but I haven't got round to ordering a 30 inch ripping chain yet. It is quite a bit more powerful than the 361 and I would say almost twice as fast. Bare in mind it drinks fuel though. I used it with the 30 inch bar on some pretty large oak and it felt quite balanced. It does weigh quite a bit especially with the longer bar but it makes up for this with the cutting speed and never really felt too cumbersome. I ordered another 20inch Oregon bar so I don't have to keep switching bars with the 361 though.

Sounds pretty good too!

James