How to get started?

brothergrim

What is the best way to start competion climbing, Ive been climbing 5 years and consider myself a competent climber, and I'd like to have a go at one of these comps but I dont really know how to start, is it as simple as just entering, how do you train and prepare for them ??

Cheers ben :confused1:

I entered in the pole climb at the Norfolk game and country fair after after starting to do more climbing at work, didn't do well at all but now have some poles to practice on and will do better next year, will more than likely enter the work climb as well.

Just have a go, it's the only way to get experience and once you have tried it you will know what you need to do to improve.

Stuart.

The best advice I can give Is to just enter and find out, by doing this you can then see where you will need to do better, and then use your work time as your training ground.

Is doesn't matter where you come at all as long as you enjoy yourself and try not to take it too seriously then when things can go wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck. :thumbup1:

Ive had problems for a few years now trying to find out details of comps to enter.

If you are with the "in crowd" its easy, but you just have to get in it first!

Pole climbing has a website, a facebook page and a very active community on Arbtalk.

Tree climbing look on Arboricultural Association Arborist Tree Challenge Details are also on arbjobs.com (the organiser runs both!)

or try the Cutters and climbers comp, held in Norfolk mid April.

Have fun!

• 5 months later...
Ive had problems for a few years now trying to find out details of comps to enter.

If you are with the "in crowd" its easy, but you just have to get in it first!

Pole climbing has a website, a facebook page and a very active community on Arbtalk.

Tree climbing look on Arboricultural Association Arborist Tree Challenge Details are also on arbjobs.com (the organiser runs both!)

or try the Cutters and climbers comp, held in Norfolk mid April.

Have fun!

give me a shout john if you find a comp to enter, i'd be up for it would be cool to catch up and remember the good old days of finding ways to annoy Mat.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 1st go at a comp last year at the arb north show by gustarts, this was a good start even if I started climbing for work in 2000. Didnt quite know wot I was doing but most people who take part willing to help you do the best you can.

So I would say just finde 1 enter and have a go, someone will help you if you need it, dont take yourself to seriously and just enjoy.

What is the best way to start competion climbing, Ive been climbing 5 years and consider myself a competent climber, and I'd like to have a go at one of these comps but I dont really know how to start, is it as simple as just entering, how do you train and prepare for them ??

Cheers ben :confused1:

get yourself into the utility arb comp, think its july:thumbup:. possible vetrans team coming out to play:sneaky2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Apparently I am the one who runs the AA Arborist Tree Challenge. In fact I cannot take all the credit I have the help of a great group of voulenteers who help massively without them these events wouldn't happen and I am eternally greatful for all their help each year.

Anyway we have a few events rinnign this year for those who want to get a start in competition climbing.

3ATC CCC College Climbing Competition for students at College

Southern at Capel Manors Celebration fo Trees

Northern at Cragside Northumbria

3ATC OPEN Events: Open to any qualified climber

Northern OPEN at Cragside Northumbria

UK OPEN AA Trade Fair Cirencester

South East OPEN FR Jones and Son Arb Fest KENT

For entry forms and more information please go to Arboricultural Association Arborist Tree Challenge :thumbup1:

Good luck look forward to seeing you there.

Nick