ANOTHER Fungi on Yew

Baxter

I will take a small sample of the bracket and as advised by Will, i shall place some underside peices under the microscope and take photos of what i see. If i am unable to gain access to the right microscope, Will has kindly ofered to take a look for me.

How bigger sample should i take?

Will the wound recover? (Not sure if it is annual or perrenial).

Thanks

I will get some better advice over to you after I have spoken to someone at work.

Will & Baxter,

I would advise to take a sample and sent it for identification by a professional mycologist to Kew. David Humphries can tell you how and to whom to address it.

Will & Baxter,

I would advise to take a sample and sent it for identification by a professional mycologist to Kew. David Humphries can tell you how and to whom to address it.

Send it to me and we can Identify it at the botanics:thumbup1: I will pass it on to a profesional. They would be interested in it for the herbarium as our specimen is quite old. I think the best way to send it would be the whole bracket.

When looking in the books it looks like it used to be called G.Valesiacum

Here are some photos of our Herbarium specimen and a comparison with G.resinacium.

g.resinacium-g.carnosum1.jpg.36af183323189f4ad3913a4c6030bfa0.jpg

G.resinaceum-G.carnosum.jpg.c12e8711aa65db87ab7b4dbca80164bc.jpg

G.carnosum1.jpg.017cbf2dc4d20013a4cbfd8a562cd1d5.jpg

G.carnosum2.jpg.4815bbaa61ceb2d8774d0a1fe3d6f81e.jpg

G.carnosum3.jpg.746ca943af255bf840f6a4841f74db65.jpg

"The species belongs in the difficult G. lucidum complex but is separated from G. lucidum s. str. by having a more robust basidiocarp. a blackish pilear surface, paler context, wider spores that appear distinctly "rough" under the light and scanning microscopes, and a preference for conifers. Unfortunately, no cultural data is available for G. carnosum"

MycoBank, the fungal website

"The species belongs in the difficult G. lucidum complex but is separated from G. lucidum s. str. by having a more robust basidiocarp. a blackish pilear surface, paler context, wider spores that appear distinctly "rough" under the light and scanning microscopes, and a preference for conifers. Unfortunately, no cultural data is available for G. carnosum" MycoBank

For those of you, who can (also) read German :

- Breitenbach & Kränzlin : Ganoderma carnosum Pat. (= G. atkinsonii Jahn, Kotlaba & Pouzar) wurde von Jahn et al. (1980) als eigene Art mit den Nahmen G. atkinsonii publiziert. Diese Autoren vermuten vorerst, dass der vor allem an Abies vorkommende Pilz , bish ebenfalls als G. lucidum (Fr.) Karst benannt, mit G. valesiacum Boud. oder G. tsugae Murrill identisch sein könnte. Diese Auffassung wurde aber fallengelassen. G. lucidum unterscheidet sich durch etwas kleinere Sporen (10,7 x 7,1 µm), sowie das Vorkommen an Laubholzern, vor allem Quercus, von G. carnosum. Nach Untersuchungen von Typusmaterial haben Kotlaba & Pouzar (1983) festgestellt, dass G. atkinsonii mit G. carnosum identisch ist, so dass dieser als ältere Name gültigheit besitzt.

- Ryvarden & Gilbertson : The taxonomic status of Ganoderma valesiacum is uncertain as noted by Jahn (1980). Its microstructure is similar to that of G. lucidum and the only seperating characteristic seems to be the white punky context under a cracking crust. However, in shadowy places the crust does not crack and such specimens are very difficult to seperate from those of ordinary G. lucidum. It may be that the host is distinctive, but cultural studies are necessary to solve whether this is only an ecological race or form of G. lucidum and to establish its relationship to G. carnosum, differentiated here primarily because of its preference for Abies and Picea.

- Jülich : G. valesiacum ist eine seltene montan-subalpine Art die nur auf Larix wachst. Frk. sitzend oder mit kurzem, dicken Stiel. Sporen ellipsoid, braun, 9-12 x 6-8 µm. Ganoderma lucidum wachst meist auf Laubbäumen, seltener auch auf Nadelbäumen (Larix, Picea, Pinus, nicht auf Abies). Sporen hell braun, 7-12 x 6,5-7,5 µm.

- Ellis & Ellis : Ganoderma carnosum with laterally stalked FB's, mostly on Abies, spores 11-13,5 x 7,5-8,5 µm, G. lucidum with laterally stalked FB's, on deciduous trees, spores 7-11 x 6-8 µm, G. valesiacum with sessile FB's or almost so, on Larix and Taxus, spores 9-12 x 6-8 µm.

- And also see my earlier post on the length of the stalks of annual Ganoderma species.

So if anyone, after digesting all of this contradictory and overlapping information, still can distinguish G. carnosum, G. lucidum or G. valesiacum from one another, he or she is a real and true champ :laugh1: .