Cost of running a wood burner

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downside is that it needs regular stoking, shoving a wheel barrow full of wood into it twice a day soon pales I can assure you unless you get your wood very cheap. Just not viable in my book if you are on gas even with the grants, I have a wood pellet boiler, filling that up twice a day in winter is no fun when you have a foot of snow around.

A

Downside is that it needs regular stoking, shoving a wheel barrow full of wood into it twice a day soon pales I can assure you unless you get your wood very cheap. Just not viable in my book if you are on gas even with the grants, I have a wood pellet boiler, filling that up twice a day in winter is no fun when you have a foot of snow around.

A

Do you have an oil boiler as well or are you just wood pellet? I am contemplating adding an eco angus wood boiler into my pressurised system running tandem with my existing oil boiler. So if i really cant be arsed i can just flip the oil jobbie on.

Do you have an oil boiler as well or are you just wood pellet? I am contemplating adding an eco angus wood boiler into my pressurised system running tandem with my existing oil boiler. So if i really cant be arsed i can just flip the oil jobbie on.

Adding solid fuel boiler to pressurised system not recommended

Linking Solid Fuel Stoves | Link ins to Central Heating Systems

Doesn't comply with modern building regs from what I understand

No its pellet only but does have a facility to add an oil burner at a later date if required. Got a grant on it but I would be pretty sure that sticking an oil burner onto it would upset the grant people if they ever checked it.

Putting a boiler stove or wood boiler into an energy store is fine but you cannot put a boiler stove into a pressurised system without a cold water tank to vent excess heat to in an emergency. Here are a series of drawings using the Esse centeralizer manifold, all feature either a cold water tank of a bulk energy store.

http://www.esse.com/pdfs/Centraliser.pdf

Having said that Broseley have developed a system called SWCS that does allow boiler stove and condensing boiler to run together however they will only supply it to companies who have qualified plumbers who have been on and passed to Broseley training course. Here are the details:

Innovation In stove design | Broseley Fires

A

I have a auto feed bio boiler http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/lounge/32237-how-do-you-heat-your-home-2.html see the previous thread.

I carried out a huge amount of research prior to instalation the reason we chose the bio boiler was that we have our own forest 15 acres and we intend to plant 10 acres of willow thus its a much cheeper option in the long run.

I also did not want to be at the mercy of energy companies as there prices are only ever going to go up.

Willow is commonly used as a source of feedstock for wood pellets. It is cut and chipped with a modified forage harvester, stacked in the open for a couple of months to dry then fed into a processing plant.

A

If you chip willow and store in an open pile it will not dry it will just heat up and rot. Normally fresh chips have to be used in purpose built boilers which can handle wet wood.(very inefficient) The alternative which we use is to bundle the willow whips to dry for 3 months in our solar kiln this reduces moisture content down from 55% to below 20% at which point we can chip as dry biomass.

If you chip willow and store in an open pile it will not dry it will just heat up and rot. Normally fresh chips have to be used in purpose built boilers which can handle wet wood.(very inefficient) The alternative which we use is to bundle the willow whips to dry for 3 months in our solar kiln this reduces moisture content down from 55% to below 20% at which point we can chip as dry biomass.

I have had a tour of a wood pellet producer near Newark a couple of years ago. They cut and chop using a heavily modified John Deere forage harvester, store in piles for 6 weeks, that takes moisture down to about 25%, it then goes into a drier (fueled by dried chips) to take it down low enough to be ground and then pelleted.

A