Cost of running a wood burner

Hi, my neighbours daughter has bought her first house and is looking at alternatives to gas central heating.

Could anyone please give an estimate of the cost of running a wood burner?

Likely price per m3?

How many deliveries of above per year on average?

Thanks in advance, Simon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she wants to keep her costs to a minimum then get her to order in cord wood and then process it into logs herself. In my opinion I think that if you don't have access to free wood like most of us do then it can work out dearer to run a burner as your primary source of heating. I burnt 5 of my pick ups last winter and only have a small burner. If Iwas buying that in it would have cost me between £300\£350. The price of logs is rising just like gas etc and if you see how many are being installed then the supply chain is going to feel the strain. Insulation and careful timing on the heating supplemented by the burner works well.

Hi, my neighbours daughter has bought her first house and is looking at alternatives to gas central heating.

Could anyone please give an estimate of the cost of running a wood burner?

Likely price per m3?

How many deliveries of above per year on average?

Thanks in advance, Simon

HI wisewood how large is the stove or kw of the stove how long will it be running all the winter with stove the more you pay the better the stove the cast iron stove are the best but that just me owell all the best jon :thumbup:

HI wisewood how large is the stove or kw of the stove how long will it be running all the winter with stove the more you pay the better the stove the cast iron stove are the best but that just me owell all the best jon :thumbup:

Just to add to the above will it have a back boiler so it can act as a proper heating system ?

It depends on the size/ insulative qualities of the house,stove size,and how warm you expect the house to be. But I dont think there would be a massive cost save over conventional central heating unless you have access to free /cheap logs.

The first thing I would look at is getting the insulation up to or above spec,and the potential for grants to that avail.

very few of my customers spend more than £250/year on logs (2.5 cubic metres). But some of them will burn coal as well or get other wood from other sources. Much of it depends on how cold the winter is and how often you light it! How long is a piece of string?

We run a wood burning rayburn (cooking, heating and hot water) all year round and a wood stove October to March (to boost the heating and hot water). We use about 12-15 cubic metres logs per year (mixed 30% soft, 70% hard). My logs sell for £100/cube so I would be spending £1200-£1500/year. But I don't buy any gas or oil and spend less than £30/month on electricity (which will come down soon as we hope to put solar pv panels on the roof - may even make a few quid out of the feed-in tariff)

Yup.....free wood = free heat. If you pay for the logs a wood burner isn't a cheap way to heat a house but makes the eco types feel happy.

She will need to get hold of a source of free wood and old pallets make good kindling - it aint easy but beats paying the oil/gas/leccy companies!

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

I'll pass on your wisdom, I fear she will feel deflated and give in to the big energy providers.

I suggested she get herself a chainsaw and take advantage of a subsidised course but going by the bunny caught in headlights look she gave me I don't think that would ever happen.:001_rolleyes:

I generally tell customers that a woodburner is unlikely to be the cheapest option unless they have sources of free logs. However, most of my briquette customers will get through the winter - as we do ourselves at home, with a single pallet of 100 packs. The stove is not our only source of heat, but it's on every afternoon and evening for most of the winter, and on all the time during periods when we're at home.

Cheers,

Andy