Hawthorne Berry Cake

Dean Lofthouse

Can anyone remember the Hawthorne berry Cake Ray Meeres made on one of his survival programs.

He got the berrys and mushed them in a bowl, cant remember whether he strained them or added anything but he flattened the goo out and dried it to make a flapjack type cake, which stored for ages.

Has anyone got the exact procedure, seen as how the berries are ready for harvest I thought I'd make some, supposed to be quite nice.

Cant find a recipe for Ray Mears online, but here is a chinese recipe http://www.achinesefood.com/2008/05/07/royal-dessert-of-chinese-food%EF%BC%9Achinese-hawthorn-cake.html

In his book "Wild food" he makes a kind of haw mush patty thing, but will have to see if there is a recipe in there.

Basically, remove the stones, crush to a paste and spread thinly on a sheet of bark, tin foil whatever and allow to dry. "This will cut down the tartness and astringency......heating will free the sugars in the fruit and make them sweeter and more palatable" this proces can be followed for many of the wild fruits, sloes, haws, bullace plum etc. Be sure to remove the stones, as they contain cyanide!!

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103653&sid=751d534c6b8980fa0a8ec9af52ce4921#p103653

Interesting Dean, you trying to beat the credit crunch?

I have a theory that because we rely more upon processed food and very few people harvest natural fruits that occur all around us we miss out on natural chemicals and antidotes which, without us knowing, guard us from different ailments.

I went out with the dogs today for a short walk and couldn't believe how many raspberries, black berries going to waste and rotting away.

I was stuffed and had purple lips and finger tips when I got back home. :001_tongue:

I do think we are missing out on natural remedies and am always curious. I believe that the increase in eczema and such ailments are caused by bad diet of the parent during pregnancy, no scientific study of course, just a theory.