Firewood Price

haforbes

Can I ask if any of you guys really sit down to do a proper costing?

buy-in price or tons/hectare over capital cost land/management/interest of loan

Transport costs in/time/fuel/depreciation of vehicles

Rental value of storage/work space

Packaging costs/advertising/phones/time

Delivery costs incl deprecations and fuels

Banking costs/bad debts etc

Total time:profit ex vat

..to work out what you really earn per hour?

NO!!!!!!!!!

If most of us did that we would just get very depressed, stop working and end up on the dole and possibly the bottle!!!:thumbdown:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a strange one isnt it. I can, and do, knock out dumpies (0.6cube say) easily for £65- £75 each depending on location. Now I am struggling to get £100 for a pick up load that is 1.2 cube. Its a strange one, I am seriously thinking of just selling dumpie bags at £65 each or 2 for £125. All very well seasoned hardwood, u dont get better firewood around here FACT!!!!

For fear of starting something here :)

That's £130-£140 a cube, I can't help feeling that a lot of woodburners were fitted purely as a feature and people don't rely on it for a guaranteed heat source, and I can't help feeling that some of you are going to price yourselves out of work at those prices, because while times are hard (and getting harder) they just won't bother lighting them, obviously there are still people who will need logs for essential heat.

Obviuosly I am comparing those prices to around here, but I don't believe we are that far apart in distance.

Yep £130-£140 a cube is going to be my price this winter, all our running costs are going up and up if we don't put our prices up it won't be worth doing logs anymore.

Yep £130-£140 a cube is going to be my price this winter, all our running costs are going up and up if we don't put our prices up it won't be worth doing logs anymore.

i see where you fire wood guys are coming from ,but im a tree surgeon . my wood is free ,my shed space is worth money but if i rented it out would only bring me around £1000 or so a year and would have to put up with a tennant ,we process fire wood as and when ,early finishes from tree work ,wet wet days and here and there ,8 hours splitting gives me around 6 toyota hilux fulls maybe 7 and i sell them for £100 each ,thats 700 pounds a day minus fuel and the shed value ,my delivery truck is owed and run my the tree busines ,but fire wood is a branch out from the arb side of my work,excuse the pun

i see where you fire wood guys are coming from ,but im a tree surgeon . my wood is free ,my shed space is worth money but if i rented it out would only bring me around £1000 or so a year and would have to put up with a tennant ,we process fire wood as and when ,early finishes from tree work ,wet wet days and here and there ,8 hours splitting gives me around 6 toyota hilux fulls maybe 7 and i sell them for £100 each ,thats 700 pounds a day minus fuel and the shed value ,my delivery truck is owed and run my the tree busines ,but fire wood is a branch out from the arb side of my work,excuse the pun

TBH £100 hilux isnt far out i dont think, sounds like a nice little sideline mate.

TBH £100 hilux isnt far out i dont think, sounds like a nice little sideline mate.

i think so ,but my point was ,for folk to say if i could not get x ammount for my wood it would not be worth doing it ,i make good money on what i do ,as its free ,and costs for processing are not to bad over all :thumbup1:

i think so ,but my point was ,for folk to say if i could not get x ammount for my wood it would not be worth doing it ,i make good money on what i do ,as its free ,and costs for processing are not to bad over all :thumbup1:

This may be true just now, but the way job prices are going (round my way) the value of the wood could soon come into the equation when pricing, so the wood may not be free much longer :thumbdown:

This may be true just now, but the way job prices are going (round my way) the value of the wood could soon come into the equation when pricing, so the wood may not be free much longer :thumbdown:

as i prssed the submit i thought of that sky huck ,some folk around here do take trees down for the wood ,ash trees are standing gold to some guys with a blunt stihl 017 and a few spare hours ,i did price up coal the other day and it was 240 a ton ,what do you recon would you get more heat from that compared to 240 pounds of fire wood ? seasond hard wood that is ?

you can get nearly 4 bulk bags(aprox 2.2 cube) delivered anywere in uk for 260. If you hunt arround on the net. There are a few companys moving it on pallets.

Firewood for Sale, Kiln Dried Logs, Briquettes, Pellets | Real Firewood Company

Kiln Dried Hardwood-Firewood for sale-Timports Logs

If the price goes too high peeps will just order online if they find out it is available