Britain's tallest tree?

ShivaSubcontractor

Alright chaps,

I've recently been lucky enough to stumble upon a grove of trees that i genuinely feel could be serious contenders for tallest tree in the country. Theyre close to the welsh border in Powys. Its a mixed grove of coniferous trees, Sequoia, Douglas Fir, Thuja and Grand Fir. There's a stand of Grand Fir there that are certainly around the 60m mark, though i havent had a chance to get in there with a clinometer...not sure if its even possible to get a reading....so who's up for climbing them??? Big shot jobby, bit of SRT to access the crown, then about a thousand sappy changeovers to the top. Probably safest to use the big shot poles to reach the very top too. Theres 3 trees that i feel are the tallest so i reckon you'd want a crew of around 6 to climb them all in a day......keen?

If you don't have permission to climb them I'd hold off posting on here untill you have either got permission or just climbed them anyway. Asking for others to take part in a trespass could get the forum in trouble maybe??

Not being judgemental, I asked for permission to climb this one:

and was refused. We did it anyway.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/6931-big-fir-rec-climb.html

There are lots of sites with trees around the 60m mark, its findig the extre few metres that will give you the record. The one in my vid was 60m.:001_smile:

Hi,

I don't think that the Grand fir at Ardkinglas is the tallest tree in the UK. The top of this tree is frequently blown out. Check out this web page :- The Big Tree Hunters Frames Page where some even taller Douglas fir trees in Scotland are reported as having been measured at 213ft tall (64.9m) in 1999 - that's 12 years ago. Given that Douglas fir grows at about 2 feet a year in this part of Argyleshire then the present day height of these same trees might be 240ft (73m). Now that's a climb !

Chilterns