Typical newbie

johnmcc

Question

Yes, I've joined this forum because I have a problem. Sorry.

I'm in North Norfolk in an area that's on a pretty thick clay pan about 60 to 80 cms below the surface. I have a variety of trees in my garden and seem to be losing them. Two years ago a large weeping willow in a field behind my garden, separated from it by a ditch, died over the winter. Then last summer a weeping silver birch in my garden died at the end of July - all the leaves turned brown and fell, and before long twigs started to fall off the tree - all this within a few weeks. This June a tortured willow about 5 metres from the birch has started to die back from the top. Both the birch and the tortured willow were (are) about 6 metres tall. Now a 10 year old silver birch about 5 metres from the other two has started to look sickly, with leaves starting to curl and go brown at the edges, and some beginning to fall.

The three trees dead or dying in my garden are all in my chicken run. Could the chicken droppings be having an effect? In my village we are all on septic tanks. Could the sub-surface run off from the tanks be killing the trees? Or is it honey fungus or similar? All the trees are within a 6 or 7 metres of either the boundary ditch or a large pond connected to the ditch. The water table is less than 60 cm below the surface in the dryest weather - even during this spring's drought.

Also within my garden I have a large Oak, a very tall Ash, a Sweet Chestnut, Plum and Apple trees which so far (fingers crossed) don't seem to be affected. I don't think there is anything I can do to prevent any fungus or disease spreading since the root systems of my trees seem to be pretty well interconnected, but I'd like to know if the remaining trees are in danger, and what species might be safe if I have to replant.

If you have any thoughts you'd be prepared to share with me I'd be most grateful.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Concentrated nitrogen of the sort you'll get under a chicken run will be fairly toxic to just about anything woody. Particularly if the clay is preventing it from leaching away. The two trees which died are both fast-growing, so will potentially be absorbing the N faster.

The oak and the chestnut are both potentially deep-rooting, so may have their feet in the clay and not be getting hit with all the N.

Maybe move the run around from time to time, or throw some chips or straw into the run to mop up some of the droppings and compost it away from the trees.

We we all newbies once.

JohnMCC,by this evening I'm sure you will have a good few answers,might help to get a photo of any dying foilage,and of whole tree in the process of decline to help form a conclusion.

Welcome to the forum too.

Concentrated nitrogen of the sort you'll get under a chicken run will be fairly toxic to just about anything woody. Particularly if the clay is preventing it from leaching away. The two trees which died are both fast-growing, so will potentially be absorbing the N faster.

John & Steve,

And both tree species are associated with and for their water and nutrients supply depending on (the mycelia of) to the greater part tree species specific ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, for which the nitrogen is extremely toxic causing them to die thus leaving the tree roots unprotected against parasitic macrofungi such as Armillaria species.

Edited by Fungus

if you post at 10.30 at night you maybe waiting for a reply, some of us work for a living, do a tough job and are so ugly that beauty sleep is a must!:lol:

Speak for yourself there mate i am a stunner so my mum tells me:001_tt2:

Anyway John i am going for the nitrogen problem with the droppings as well. It seems to be the pattern.

Have the trees died in order of where they are placed? like one dies then the one next to it then next etc. Or is it just random deaths within the chicken run?