stein 2000 vs treerunner 500

Dilz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear Reg, i cant see me wearing a porty or Rc device out very quickly:001_smile:

As the designer, what would you see as the major differences between them?

cheers mate, enjoy canada

The main incentives were strength, heat dissipation, bigger tube radius....and obviously the double tied mounting option, of which the majority of user feedback suggests is a step in the right direction. Thanks Drew

Pete, I'm sorry to see the rusty bits....some have, them while others dont from the exact same batch. Its a bit of a phenomenom....Ive seen brand new porties with the exact same blemishes....I think perhaps the reason why the powder-coating option by buckingham was later introduced, although I'm only speculating. For your piece of mind, the RC2000's were pull tested to a little more than the entire weight of the crane in the photo without any distortion, so rest assured I dont think your saftey margin will be compromised that much. Dont ask me what that exact figure is because I dont want to encourage people to go crazy loading the trees. Thanks

DSC_0116.JPG.dca40becaeb821133ecc2d8f519e1939.JPG

Dilz, don't be restricted by budget too much as there isn't much between the tree runner and the Stein rc3001.

If you are pricing correctly then you only need to work another week to clear more than enough profit to buy the Stein. I think Majestic said this earlier.

I'm not derailing this thread so bear with me. I've been agonising for seven months whether to get the GRCS or Stein Dual. Now, the dilemma there is obviously based on price as well as how much I require the slick lifting the GRCS provides.

Over the weekend I decided to get the Stein and my decision finally didn't come down to price. I got some really good (openly biased) suggestions from Nick at Fletcher Stewart and FR Jones'. I've also been hassling Reg Coates with boring questions for the last few months and he's also offered some great suggestions, in a truly unbiased manner.

The upshot of all this is that I came to realise that while the stein won't do everything the GRCS can do, the same is true the other way round.

By having a double bollard that can lift stuff, it opens up a whole realm of rigging possibilities with the limiting factor being my imagination rather than the products SWL.

My point is this, by getting the product that can deal with more, you have more options to play with and make life easier, and maybe more fun.

By having the tool that is over engineered for your requirements you don't need to worry about failure or incompetent staff breaking it.

Finally, whichever you choose, it's a lot of money to then spend years regretting it and wishing you'd been bolder with the decision.

Pete, I'm sorry to see the rusty bits....some have, them while others dont from the exact same batch. Its a bit of a phenomenom....Ive seen brand new porties with the exact same blemishes....I think perhaps the reason why the powder-coating option by buckingham was later introduced, although I'm only speculating. For your piece of mind, the RC2000's were pull tested to a little more than the entire weight of the crane in the photo without any distortion, so rest assured I dont think your saftey margin will be compromised that much. Dont ask me what that exact figure is because I dont want to encourage people to go crazy loading the trees. Thanks

Reg, many thanks for the response. I’m not unhappy about the rust. It occurred at the most highly loaded connection in the fabrication, so I made some initial calcs about the potential strength of what I consider the critical part of the device ie the connection between the securing ring pin and the tube. There were many factors unknown to me so I assumed lowly values for materials. Still, I ended up with permissible values well within the recommended load limit. The thickness of the tube being a key strength factor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right in assuming that the crane test involved the lifting capacity of the crane?

cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used the Stein for a while now and none of the lads find it any more difficult to use than the TreeRunner 500. We use a nylon mounting strap clipped to the top ring before we attach the securing ratchet strap to the side lugs and set the lower attachment multi-sling.

This procedure takes no more time than setting up the TR 500 and the capacity of the Stein is way superior; what will do a lot will do a little.

Additionally, the top ring of the Stein can then be used for attachment of the 5:1 fiddler block system which slides around too much on the top loop/bar of the TR 500 to be convenient.

We only use the Port-a-wrap type now for controlled, fast lowering of very light sections where there are soft targets beneath; we also use them for self tending of pulling lines, in conjunction with the 5:1 fiddler block kit, to help with felling back-weighted trees or stems but the Stein bollard outshines the traditional device in 99% of situations.

i bought the Treerunner 500, My gear gets shipped about alot, and also budget was a constraint so price and weight were an issue. I gave it a test run today on an oak tree, using a 14mm polydyne lowering rope and ISC pulleys of various sizes. The groundsman was not the most experienced of riggers but had no trouble using the tree runner. The fact that there is no slack when using a capstan was very noticeable, also when firing the tops off the groundsman was able to pull the slack in as the pieces fell from above the pulley and then let it run again with no problems just reducing the shock loading of the tree. I have thought about attachments on the top for lifting fiddler blocks and i have a few ideas in mind, though i dont know how much these parts are rated for.

I sat down and worked out the loads every thing can take, and to be honest the jobs i do at the moment in no way require something with the capacity of the stein3001, or the jobs that the extra load would be useful would just mean taking smaller pieces. I also got a very very good price on my tree runner making only a little more expensive than the stein2000, but with no need to purchase extra ropes. I believe 14mm was a good choice for the set up. The groundy found it very easy to tie and untie, and it didnt create too much friction on the bollard as sometimes can be the case when using thicker mm ropes on not so heavy pieces. Setting the treerunner 500 to the tree took a little longer than would have with a capstan but that is just getting familiar with the kit. On the whole i'm happy with how it has performed though perhaps the largest that was dropped on it to day was only a touch over 100kg. I will continue to test it out and i'm looking forward to dropping some bigger chogs on it in the near future.

nice one mate, glad your happy with it....i know i keep saying it but i will get some pictures up soon, just so busy at the mo....:thumbup:

took down some big euca's the other week some big pieces came of and groundy ran it well, some chunks of about 250 300kg, then a few big ash tree of last and this week have given it some hammer, but on the whole i'm impressed with it great buy for a starting bollard.:thumbup: