Should the AA approve contractors who run 3.5 ton trucks?

benedmonds

So, Mr James. Congratulations on still climbing at 48. I'm guessing you have been climbing for a few years more than me and could probably show me a thing or 2 around the canopy. (I'm not patronising you here).

The industry has moved on significantly since I started and as a result a lot of the methodology I used in the past is outdated and, now, considered, unsafe. This includes overloading vehicles.

The 'golden era' when tree surgeons only wore suspenders and a bra just at the weekend instead of Monday to Friday has passed.

Jobs were always tight and competitive. In the past there were less tree surgeons and less awareness of the need to use a tree surgeon. Now there are many more operators and much more awareness.

I'd suggest that if anyone is working for an employer who expects them to drive around in overloaded vehicles then this is not the only area of operations they're expected to risk themselves in.

I'm not averse to risk, as anyone who works for me will testify. I'm not averse to my staff taking risks, as long as they have the training, coaching, skill and experience to assess the hazards associated with doing so. After all, how do we learn in life if not by experiencing things outside our current knowledge. (FYI I have the same ethos with my children, though at 6,4 and 2 they've yet to carry, let alone start a chainsaw.)

I aspire to provide a fulfilling and progressive environment for my staff and I still have a moral and legal responsibility to ensure they are safe and return each day in one piece, albeit tired and a little scratched.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know im a newbe and everyone seems to be avoiding me ,maybe its the speed of my finger, or no one can read anthing im writting, i think i might retire after this last post, but here we go . I m 48 yoa and still on the tools and up the trees, maybe some of you senior members who are no longer on the tools have forgoten what really goes on, all jobs are tight now and its a rush to get as many tasks done in a day as possible, so enevitably trucks do get overloaded.Daily.

maybe its your approach? maybe we just dont get your style YET, maybe we are just waiting to see how YOU turn out as a contributor?

I know I for certain wonder who you are and what your about after a few posts regarding me, so for me, its a deliberate aviodence, but only till youve been around a while and have the rights to judge certain individuals:001_rolleyes:

maybe its your approach? maybe we just dont get your style YET, maybe we are just waiting to see how YOU turn out as a contributor?

I know I for certain wonder who you are and what your about after a few posts regarding me, so for me, its a deliberate aviodence, but only till youve been around a while and have the rights to judge certain individuals:001_rolleyes:

Thanks Hamadryad , you speak wise words. My approach to life is a little unorthodox, in a short time from begining my Arb education, late in life,:001_smile: i have elevated my career far beyond what i would have ever thought was possible, i do have probs with spelling but the girl in the office sorts that out for me and i do still have a great laugh every day of the week, i cant help it, but when my reports go out they are spot on and bulletproof. any remarks from anyone my shoulders are broad enough to take em.

Thanks Hamadryad , you speak wise words. My approach to life is a little unorthodox, in a short time from begining my Arb education, late in life,:001_smile: i have elevated my career far beyond what i would have ever thought was possible, i do have probs with spelling but the girl in the office sorts that out for me and i do still have a great laugh every day of the week, i cant help it, but when my reports go out they are spot on and bulletproof. any remarks from anyone my shoulders are broad enough to take em.

I always give folk the benifit of the doubt, I dont like making quick juudgments on anyone, we all have our own talents, skills and contribution to make, and all have an individual style or approach, sometimes it takes a while to truly "get" an individuals true nature, text speak is always a less than perfect medium.

that is made a LOT easier when youve got to know somone and their background:thumbup:

stick around, keep asking talking and contributing and im sure in a while youl just be like the rest of us addicts, part of the furniture.:thumbup:

I always give folk the benifit of the doubt, I dont like making quick juudgments on anyone, we all have our own talents, skills and contribution to make, and all have an individual style or approach, sometimes it takes a while to truly "get" an individuals true nature, text speak is always a less than perfect medium.

that is made a LOT easier when youve got to know somone and their background:thumbup:

stick around, keep asking talking and contributing and im sure in a while youl just be like the rest of us addicts, part of the furniture.:thumbup:

Very kind words Hamadryad, i am slowly working my way around this site, but i do hope no one will be effended by any thin i write, i dont text and only one finger type, and my intentions are good.