show us your Log Store

bob

Finally got round to finishing my little store. Found my water main in the process of digging out for the base... oops! :thumbup:

Just needs a few more internal partitions and a door to the 'working area' to finish it off. Oh, that, and processing all the logs etc that are lying around the drive and garden that were waiting for the store to be built! The wife says it'll be nice to use the drive to park on again!!

IMG_20170804_134251.jpg

IMG_20170804_202041.jpg

IMG_20171029_101642.jpg

IMG_20171119_155652.jpg

IMG_20171231_111449.jpg

IMG_20171231_111520.jpg

IMG_20180104_113236.jpg

IMG_20180104_113251.jpg

• Like 8

It's a nice store Plwm, but I think you might struggle for air flow. The tightly stacked wood isn't a good start, and the closely fixed cladding means slow drying. I like the combination of a large overhang and wide spaced cladding. The overhang catches most of the rain but the wide spaced cladding (4 inch in the case of my store, though 3 inch is more suitable for normal size logs) allows huge air flow. I also always loose fill as I believe it allows better air movement.

My store:

998440_10152127094183136_1190043989_n.jp

• Like 7

Hmm... I guess time will tell Big J!

As the cladding dries it will give me about 1" gap on the front and left hand wall, the back already has at least an inch. Each bay is made up of 4 individual stacks with 3-4" between each stack. The logs aren't that tightly packed, daylight is visable through them, so fingers crossed the air will find it's way through?!

Next years wood supply is already dry and stored elsewhere so this is planning for year 2, 3, 4.... hopefully plenty of time to dry (slowly!)  :001_smile:

(The right hand end is for sawing/splitting to keep all the mess in one place>)

20 minutes ago, Plwm said:

Hmm... I guess time will tell Big J!

As the cladding dries it will give me about 1" gap on the front and left hand wall, the back already has at least an inch. Each bay is made up of 4 individual stacks with 3-4" between each stack. The logs aren't that tightly packed, daylight is visable through them, so fingers crossed the air will find it's way through?!

Next years wood supply is already dry and stored elsewhere so this is planning for year 2, 3, 4.... hopefully plenty of time to dry (slowly!)  :001_smile:

(The right hand end is for sawing/splitting to keep all the mess in one place>)

Fair enough. You might get a bit more warmth in summer in Wales, but I'd still be worried about damp. Up here near Edinburgh, the climate is sufficiently miserable that everything goes mouldy unless it's got good airflow. 

I work on a fairly short rotation with logs stacked outside in rows for 6-12 months and then in the store for 3-9 months, so I have to speed up the process as much as possible. I only burn softwood now, which does help. 

I couldn't ever recommend that anyone builds or buys a store that they can't walk into. If you have to bend down, your back will regret it. The store I've got that's pictured above has a volume of 22 cubic metres and we get through it very almost twice in a calendar year. Using that volume of firewood and having to stoop would kill me!

• Like 1

I couldn't ever recommend that anyone builds or buys a store that they can't walk into. If you have to bend down, your back will regret it. The store I've got that's pictured above has a volume of 22 cubic metres and we get through it very almost twice in a calendar year. Using that volume of firewood and having to stoop would kill me!

Completely agree. Most people only want a store big enough to store a few cube at most. They either don’t have the space or are too lazy to store any more than what they need for the next few weeks. Especially in towns.

Doesn’t bother me selling them firewood ready to burn though. I have one single customer who maybe has a store big enough to store 18-24months ahead with normal domestic use.