show us your Log Store

bob

11 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

Completely agree. Most people only want a store big enough to store a few cube at most. They either don’t have the space or are too lazy to store any more than what they need for the next few weeks. Especially in towns.

Doesn’t bother me selling them firewood ready to burn though. I have one single customer who maybe has a store big enough to store 18-24months ahead with normal domestic use.

I was on the phone to a potential customer who had two wood burners, one of which could take 20 inch logs. Even with that, he still didn't want more than 3 cube at a time. He was twenty miles away, my trailer takes 7 cube and he just wanted three. It's just not worth it. 

My single best firewood customer is an old friend who in the time I've known him has built a very successful business. He burns about 40 cubic metres a year, which I process into crates and one of his lackeys comes to collect it as required. I never touch the firewood (ie, I don't help with loading) and he pays in advance. If only I had 10 more customers like that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wendelspanswick said:

^^^I can't see that roof lasting long with a snow load!^^^

I was thinking that, but didn't want to be too negative.

I always think a good rule of thumb is that if you can walk across a roof without paying particular attention to where you are standing, it's strong enough. If not, it's not.

• Like 1

I was thinking that, but didn't want to be too negative.

I always think a good rule of thumb is that if you can walk across a roof without paying particular attention to where you are standing, it's strong enough. If not, it's not.

Clear sheets often degrade with sunlight rather quickly too.

This is our log store, lost count on how many crates we have now , there is a " near mint "  Salop 6 ton timber grain trailer somewhere among the crates filled with split Oak about 4 years ago.  There are crates of hawthorn, ash, pine, oak, chestnut, laurel, willow, eucalyptus & mixed hedgerow sort of stuff, the store was started 8 or 9 years ago & all split with a vertical home built splitter with 4 way wedge. 

IMG_20171028_140607081.jpg

IMG_20171028_121222305 (1).jpg

• Like 1

On 18/07/2011 at 20:22, DN22 Gardening said:

we used to sell plenty of these on fleabay till the carrier went pop.

supplied flatpacked, 20 screws and it was up.

toooooooo busy atm to look for another carrier, tried the usual suspects but all are around the £40/£50 pound mark which kills the price.

59765d5f06a5d_deluxe1.jpg.6996d55cc465664f0b388d845e113915.jpg

07022009039.jpg.38df054fa736b12120b037efb9de5009.jpg

Photo-0003.jpg.d8418032068214825b8c694b81242daf.jpg

The cockers look well worth fifty quid