Dual Decay

David Humphries

In layman's terms is that basically 1 fungus putting up a barrier to stop another accessing it's section of the timber?

Am I correct in thinking 1 is a lignum digester and 1 a cellulose giving the opposing colours of decay,

Scraping the barrel of my memory from collage days but trying to refresh myself as to what's going on.

http://www.dryadarb.co.uk

Yep you're spot on, the cuticularis is putting up a barrier to stop the Ganoderma getting in to its feeding territory.

Both species are white rot decayers but they are affecting different parts of what makes up the wood to different degrees.

Relatively little is known or written about Innonotus cuticularis decay, but I suspect it's similar in characteristics to Inonotus hispidus in that it creates a simultaneous white rot breaking down both the cellulose and lignin within the affected wood.

What's really interesting here (well to me anyway :blushing:) is that it's on oak rather than its more usual host of beech, so the decay and associated wood quality will be fairly different.

Ganoderma resinaceum creates a selective delignification so affects the lignin mostly.

image.jpg.ba2eea2b63bd793f38d68a695889be46.jpg

Edited by David Humphries

Intrigued by the close proximity and seemingly rare association we took a slice through the oak to look at the two decays.

[ATTACH]209110[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]209111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]209112[/ATTACH]

You can see from the still attached (but sliced) cuticularis brackets, that the I. c decay is significantly different to the rest of the cross section which affected by the decay of the Ganoderma which is noted as colonising via selective delignification.

[ATTACH]209113[/ATTACH]

The border of the cuticularis decay has been enclosed by a thin dark psuedosclerotial plate which is keeping the resinaceum decay from breaching its own section of the wood volume.

[ATTACH]209115[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]209116[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]209117[/ATTACH]

Really interesting post David, thanks. Have you encountered Cuticularis on Ok much on the Heath?

• 2 months later...

Not too unusual as fruiting seasons and hosts overlap, but Grifola frondosa and Fistulina hepatica are not often seen fruiting from the same part of a tree in my experience.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1475252251.925370.jpg.772875dfbd83b9f96f90e61b87de7d96.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1475252280.915528.jpg.9944205d5f7898f234f558e3e8e5bec6.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1475252313.078668.jpg.adcf9198ce5bed6a83b1cc5fab9fb8f3.jpg

White rot decay of G. frondosa and brown rot decay of F. hepatica might create an interesting situation around these roots and buttresses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...