Tulip Tree Vs Extension

stevelucocq

Hi,

I have been to look at a large tulip tree that is 1200mm in diameter and a distance of 1500mm from a small single story extension. The tree is in good health with no evident visible weaknesses. One half of the crown over hangs the entire property and the tree is of high amenity value. There are signs of ground movement on the concrete path around the extension and small cracks in the surrounding boundary walls. No cracks in the walls of the extension were noted.

I am looking into ways of retaining the tree and dealing with the on going problems with future root growth etc. Also I am wary of the potential problems of removing the tree and any resultant soil heave within clay soils.

So far I have considered air spading to expose the roots growing under the foundations and then pruning any roots causing noticeable problems with the foundations?

Sorry no photos at the moment.

Any ideas of a possible solution would be appreciated:thumbup1:.

Thanks Steve

Hi paul,

Not sure on the soil type but airing on the side of caution. Even if the soil was not clay could there be some side effects of removing such a large tree so close to a building?

The building was built some time ago but not so sure about the extension.

I have attached a few pictures.

Thanks Steve

DSCF5324.jpg.18b7e5471b128833b3f04924f8d0c109.jpg

DSCF5328.jpg.d3c79e813f9008eba82daa14c305fae8.jpg

DSCF5326.jpg.170de7be5bc66037cc8b3791c083b83b.jpg

Wow, what a lovely tree!

If the soil is not a clay with a high plasticity, there shouldn't be effects in terms of ground swelling/heave following tree removal.

In my opinion, the cracks in the pavement are caused by direct physical pressure from roots, not ground movement. If there are no signs of cracking in the actual property, I wouldn't recommend anything.

I would say that unless there is a broken drain under the house, the roots are going to head out away from the house in to preferential soil - around the side of the house and along front gardens where there is more readily available water resources.

My tuppence worth anyway.

Wow, what a lovely tree!

If the soil is not a clay with a high plasticity, there shouldn't be effects in terms of ground swelling/heave following tree removal.

In my opinion, the cracks in the pavement are caused by direct physical pressure from roots, not ground movement. If there are no signs of cracking in the actual property, I wouldn't recommend anything.

I would say that unless there is a broken drain under the house, the roots are going to head out away from the house in to preferential soil - around the side of the house and along front gardens where there is more readily available water resources.

My tuppence worth anyway.

Paul,

Thanks for your comments. This is not one I want to make any haste decisions on.

Anyone else care to comment??

Steve

Hi,

There is staining from an old branch pruning wound (See picture below.) I am not too concerned about this but feel free to comment.

I have further information regarding the soil type from an old arboricultral report:

tactile and visual examination indicate the soil to have a low clay content and low shrinkage potential.

Would I be right in saying that this could support the removal of the tree as there is low potential for soil heave if the tree is removed, also could this support retaining the tree as there is low potential for subsidence problems?

The owner of the house is very keen to have the tree removed due to safety reasons and worried about further damage to the house. There appears to be no major signs of any structural defects so no real rounds to remove the tree as Dead, Dying or Dangerous or causing any real nuisance to the properties walls etc.

I feel the tree is of high value and should be retained. The owner should be responsible for managing the safety of the tree by having the tree aerially inspected etc to pick up on any evident defects.

Any one had any other experiences of such a scenario?

DSCF5329.jpg.6c783bc89866256001783c0423259331.jpg

Massive tree (tulip is very heavy wood) much to close to the house. if the client wants it out, and there is no TPO then do it, You are not the tree officer, or, if your feelings would be hurt by taking it out, there are many contractors who would fight back the tears and pocket the money for a fully justified removal.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

that's a great tree and an interesting quandary! For what its worth, I survey buildings for a living ( my arb/fungi interest is a side-line). From your photos the 'extension' looks more like an adaptation of a garage built with the house. As a guess, I’d say circa 1970-1974 for the house and its annex. How old do you think the tree is?

Sadly the tree is too close to the house (or visa versa depending on your perspective!). At half its current size the tree would make a great asset . However, as it stands, it’s only ever going to be a distraction to the financial value and eventual safety of the building. An understanding of the building's foundation depths and type, sub-soil properties, age and growth habits of the tree will all help with a prognosis. But it will only buy time before the inevitable has to happen. That town just aint big enough for the both of 'em

regards Pete B

• Like 1

What a fantastic tree. Seems a shame to cut it down. When I read your original post I thought a root barrier would be the obvious solution.....then I saw the photograph! It is far too close to the property. Have you established whether or not the house is built on shrinkable clays? What is the extent of the damage? What does the owner want? Is there a TPO on it?