Work In New Zealand Help Please.

Hey ive been looking on trade me for ages but never no what to do as most of them say ring and must have residency etc.

As im a little over 30 i cant get the working visa so that route is out the question.

Do you think if i came over on holiday and found work it would be easy enough to get a visa of some description while i was out there?

Sorry to waffle on.

I went in 2005/6 to NZ and was just over 30 Had Class 1 HGV and chainsaw ticket and other bits but not as many as you. It was a frustrating experience for my wife and I. She was under 30 and the Immigration was absolutely pathetic. Its a fantastic country but If I was to do the visa for work over again. Id get a job before I went, Its a government dept and things take weeks to sort. Its so easy by comparision for an Kiwi to come to UK and by extension, Europe for working visa. If you want our fuller experience pm me and I'll tell you more.

I recommend going but not hoping to sort things when you get there.

Sponsorship is a good way, just hard to find someone.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, they are pretty much testing for everything. I've been involved in setting up random drug testing after working on sites with guys lighting up. Don't get me wrong; I don't have an issue with what people do in their own time and I'm first to admit I've been there and done that. It's just when it comes to it affecting the ability to work safely. That goes for the booze as well. I've turned up to work in the morning with my foreman rolling in still blind drunk after coming straight from the club.

I have a few colleagues who are national contract managers. I spoke with one only two days ago. He has just fired 6 guys who were randomly tested after one of the staff noticed they looked a little out of it. 4 were sent packing for failing cannabis testing and 2 for alcohol. These guys work around EHV conductors so there's no room for error. Forestry has gone into the testing pretty hard as drugs used to be rife throughout the industry.

Most outfits will offer rehab after a failed test unless that test was done after what could be considered gross misconduct. Anyway, Hijacked tree menders thread enough. If you want to start a seperate thread I'm more than happy to throw more info into that thread.

Sounds like you have exactly the same take on it as me, my man. I was just joshing.:thumbup1:

Sorry about the hijack Treemenders!

My mate moved to Auckland 18 months ago aged 34 and now works full time for a major arb firm out there. He managed to sort a 12 month working visa before he left.

He's loving it.

I'll second what Goaty said. The immigration dept are useless everywhere. Even when we applied for residency we got different stories from different departments as to the requirements hence the suggestion you get a lawyer if you are really struggling.

The visa is generally pretty straight forward to get but again, it takes time. If you work for one of the bigger arb outfits they can usually get you straight on as they have agreements in place with immigration which means they don't have to go through all the BS paperwork. I would, however, suggest that if you want to look into the arb side of it you ring the major players in NZ from the UK before you leave. Don't email, don't wait for a reply, just keep ringing. Most are keen to get guys on and they can probably smooth the process heaps for you. Forestry is a whole different ball game and as I said before, the guys that work in the bush are rough and ready and don't accept fools lightly so you need to be on your game all the time. My suggestion would be to get in with a large arb outfit. It's easier once you have your visa to swap it over to another employer once you are here.

Sounds like you have exactly the same take on it as me, my man. I was just joshing.:thumbup1:

Sorry about the hijack Treemenders!

My mate moved to Auckland 18 months ago aged 34 and now works full time for a major arb firm out there. He managed to sort a 12 month working visa before he left.

He's loving it.

Haha, sorry Mark, was between replying and having a conversation in the office so didn't read your post properly. Thought you meant what drugs do they test for, duh! :blushing:

Just a bit of input from me, about 10 years ago i must have been 37 i went over to aus on a holiday visa and workked 3 mths for a major timber company cash in hand 6 days a week no Qs asked, liked it so much i even went back the following year and worked for them again. i still keep in touch with contacts over there and could go over tomorow on the same arangment, work was really hard but wow what BIG trees.

Just a bit of input from me, about 10 years ago i must have been 37 i went over to aus on a holiday visa and workked 3 mths for a major timber company cash in hand 6 days a week no Qs asked, liked it so much i even went back the following year and worked for them again. i still keep in touch with contacts over there and could go over tomorow on the same arangment, work was really hard but wow what BIG trees.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the way you look at it, immigration have had a massive crack down on this sort of operation. Forestry outfits won't do this anymore as most come under the management of oragnisations hired by the forest owners (usually Maori) so everything has to be above board and legal. Also, as I said before, if you get caught flouting the laws you'll get booted out straight away and by that I mean you are marched straight to the cells and then straight to the airport. You are then banned from entering the country for, I believe, 5 years. It will also show up if you try to get in to places like OZ or the States so think long and hard before you try pulling a swifty.

Yep i take on board what you say the last time i was there i was pulled at the airport and qissed, the main factor was to prove you had suffisant funds , an address to stay at and be able to explaine your intentions ie diving , tour of the country, i Know its not the correct way to enter a country but believe you me lots of folk still do it. and if you are old like me why not? you only live once, i like to live life on the edge. im A REBLE

Yep i take on board what you say the last time i was there i was pulled at the airport and qissed, the main factor was to prove you had suffisant funds , an address to stay at and be able to explaine your intentions ie diving , tour of the country, i Know its not the correct way to enter a country but believe you me lots of folk still do it. and if you are old like me why not? you only live once, i like to live life on the edge. im A REBLE

You're only as old as the women you feel :001_tongue: Same still applies with sufficient funds etc. Most people here if they want to do a swifty head for the orchards. If you want to save a heap of money and just have a holiday you can swap working, for a roof above your head and a feed every night. Heaps of people and places jumping on that band wagon now and it's all legit.