Work In New Zealand Help Please.

Hey Chaps

Im looking into going to NZ early next year am i better going over for a holiday then trying to find a job while im there or finding a job before i go?:confused1:

If there is anyone out there who wants to employ me as a forest machine driver then get in touch ive got my 30/31 38/39, rope access level one, 360 10t & above and hgv 1 & 2, Red cross first aid level one and loads of other tickets.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look on the trademe website under jobs. There are usually always jobs for log haulers, machine drivers etc. on there. It's heavy work and the guys are pretty hard core and full on. Drug testing etc is mandatory. There's also usually jobs going in the local papers. Central North Island is a huge forestry area so you need to look in places like Taupo, Rotorua, Coramandel etc in the weekly local rags.

Have a look on the trademe website under jobs. There are usually always jobs for log haulers, machine drivers etc. on there. It's heavy work and the guys are pretty hard core and full on. Drug testing etc is mandatory. There's also usually jobs going in the local papers. Central North Island is a huge forestry area so you need to look in places like Taupo, Rotorua, Coramandel etc in the weekly local rags.[/quote

Hey ive been looking on trade me for ages but never no what to do as most of them say ring and must have residency etc.

As im a little over 30 i cant get the working visa so that route is out the question.

Do you think if i came over on holiday and found work it would be easy enough to get a visa of some description while i was out there?

Sorry to waffle on.

You're going to need a work visa whatever you want to do outside of a holiday. You could apply directly for a temporary working visa which usually gives you anywhere from a year to 3 years. Even though you are over 30 you should still be able to get one. You would have to show that you have sufficient funds in the short term to support yourself along with a return ticket. All that could be done from the UK or from NZ once you are here. Once you have that working visa it will open a few more doors for you and if you take the time to ring the forestry outfits and explain what you have. Most usually mean that you are legally able to work in NZ rather than having full residency but if push comes to shove you can always go for a groundie or machinery operator position with one of the larger tree outfits.

If you get caught working without that visa you'll get booted out of the country and refused entry for five years. If you're really serious about it you could always hire yourself an immigration lawyer to point you in the right direction. That's what we did and if you get a good one they are worth the expense.

Cool i will apply for the working visa and see how that goes i didn't realise that it could be an option due to me being old man rivers.

And what i was hoping to do was come over for a holiday and then put a face to a name with some of the company's there and then once i had pinned one of them to give me a job start the visa process but if i can get a working visa before i go that would be a bonus.

Thanks for your help and advice its greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

Have a look on the trademe website under jobs. There are usually always jobs for log haulers, machine drivers etc. on there. It's heavy work and the guys are pretty hard core and full on. Drug testing etc is mandatory. There's also usually jobs going in the local papers. Central North Island is a huge forestry area so you need to look in places like Taupo, Rotorua, Coramandel etc in the weekly local rags.

Nice one.

Which ones do you have to take these days?

Mark, they are pretty much testing for everything. I've been involved in setting up random drug testing after working on sites with guys lighting up. Don't get me wrong; I don't have an issue with what people do in their own time and I'm first to admit I've been there and done that. It's just when it comes to it affecting the ability to work safely. That goes for the booze as well. I've turned up to work in the morning with my foreman rolling in still blind drunk after coming straight from the club.

I have a few colleagues who are national contract managers. I spoke with one only two days ago. He has just fired 6 guys who were randomly tested after one of the staff noticed they looked a little out of it. 4 were sent packing for failing cannabis testing and 2 for alcohol. These guys work around EHV conductors so there's no room for error. Forestry has gone into the testing pretty hard as drugs used to be rife throughout the industry.

Most outfits will offer rehab after a failed test unless that test was done after what could be considered gross misconduct. Anyway, Hijacked tree menders thread enough. If you want to start a seperate thread I'm more than happy to throw more info into that thread.