Entec CH30DH needs rotor/shafts again.

Alban

A year and a half ago I had to fit new rotor & shafts due to wear, I was told it was the older style with fixed shafts so had to change whole lot and, had it been a newer model then it would have been possible to change just the shafts?

Having looked after the machine, changing blades and correct maintenance I have the same problem. Apparently the bearings are fine but the shafts are worn.

However, I've been told by dealer, the older style rotor with fixed shaft is no longer available and so need newer style parts. I asked my mechanic to go ahead and order the parts to which he was then told by the dealer that they would need to press the shafts in and charge an hours labour. I okayed this and waited to hear back from my mechanic, I discovered this week that the dealer is now saying that they need to do the entire job as it requires precise calibration.

I just need to get my chipper up and running ASAP but the dealer is 3 hours drive away.

Should the bearing not wear before the shafts and has the older style rotor been discontinued?

Hi Alban

To answer your question fully we would require to know the serial number of your machine, this will enable us to look at the original archive records of the build.

If you have a welded in type rotor and shafts for a CH30DH model these are still available as a spare.

The new sytle rotor and shaft has to have the Nose shaft pressed into the rotor disc. From an engineering point of view it is best to freeze the nose shaft prior to pressing into the disc as it makes it slightly smaller and when unfrozen gives a stronger fit, to press the shaft takes only a couple of mins with the correct equipment.

I believe that the precise calibration the dealer is talking about is setting the position of the bearing onto the shaft, as this sets the blade gap of the machine.

However if you have the latest set up of a split rotor shaft this is set by shimms being introduced into the nose shaft.

The blade gap on a CH30DH machine is 3 to 4 mm.

The main reason for a shaft to wear is due to the inner race of the bearing rubbing away the shaft by not being held securely inplace, if this has happened it could be due to a variety of reasons and without seeing the parts it is very difficult to offer an opinion.

We encourage end users to use the dealerships, this way we are certain that you receive the best service and advise and indeed we often give advise to your own mechanics to enable them to carry out repairs.

Trust that this answers your queries but if you need any further assistance call me on the Tech Support line.

regards

TW Tech Support