Technical evaluation?

_tc

Hi all, imam going for my instructors rating and have my cs30 and 31 evaluations in September. Can anyone recommend some literature I can peruse as I believe the questions regarding different chain types etc are tough. I know the few still chainsaw I use but I need to know everything there is to know.

Many thanks in advance

Ed.

hi ed depending on whos doing your tech evaluation really depends on how in depth your chain knowledge will need to be some verifyers go deeper than others it will also depend on weather its an evaluation to become a registered instructor or an assessor

all you can do is your best to know as much as you can

terry

Hi Ed,

I recently became both a Lantra Awards 'Lantra' and also City & Guilds Trainer & Assessor.

I too, was concerned about this subject:confused1:

But their was no need:001_rolleyes:

All chain manufacturers produce chains with Pitch, Gauge and Cutter type not disimilar to Stihl. A few 'od' looking gaurd links admitted.

I revised by identifying chains by visual inspection only. (no calipars). Many chain manufacturers give ident numbers, symbols to reference angles and depth gauge settings but with a bit of practice you can ident all chains by eye, even the side plate angle!

Get down to your local husky dealer and ask to have a look at their old chain bin.

We learn by doing.:001_cool:

Good luck.:thumbup1:

• 3 weeks later...

Tried doing mine a few years ago, and got screwed by the chap doing the observations. He werent too happy when I said id eventualy do most of the tickets so he "gently persuaded" the test centre to find another candidate!

Just read up on most manuals and catalogues. There is a Husky book on how to fell that may be good?

First, good luck -tc in September.

Now can someone explain what is involved in becoming an instructor please?

My sister in law did the PTLLS course to become a teacher, not for LANTRA. She keeps telling me to do it, she reckons I would be good at it.

Trouble is the only thing I would be interested in is all the stuff you folks use.

So my first question is how much experience do I need before thinking seriously about training to be an instructor?

Also which is the best route to take to get qualified?

This is a long term plan, so please don't think cocky little s*d, trying to run before he can walk.

Thanks for any advice.

• 4 months later...

Hi Tony, just read your post about the tec. Evaluation. I am currently trying to get my nptc assessors qualification. Nobody seems to be able to give me info on what the verified will want from me or how in depth they will go. I have been in the industry since 1989 and I have (what I consider) a good technical knowledge and practical skills. Can you give a brief overview of the assessment as I have to get this sorted for the new year . Any advice would be good, thanks Mark.