cheap fire wood set up?

MattyF

not to bad.... new battery ,exhaust ,oil change, front tyres and a clean and it runs not to bad,apart from i was using a high crack log splitter wich damaged the pto engage on the tractor,ive been told i can run fit a return hydraulic valve on too the breather and run a splitter off the hydraulics.

The engine hydraulics and the linkage all work fine just the pto is not in great shape!.

Thats great to hear. what splitter are you running? do you have a picture you could post? I have a 1954 Ransomes Crawler but i dont think the pto/ 3 point will match any splitters on the market so i am off to look at a 1967 David Brown tomorrow than find a splitter at a later date.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Ed.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i was using a hycrack screw splitter wich was bloody lethal,snappen some fingers and broke the pto in the process splitting bat willow!so i sold it...ive spent many hours on pto hydrolic splitters wich were very good but they are expensive, you can pick up or make one off an old ram cheaply though ive seen them for around 350 on ebay not as powerfull or fast as the pto hydrolic type but a third the price and a lot safer than the srew type in my opinion.

I have got a processor here which is good but as steve said the wood really needs to be straight here in a woodland setting i get all pole timber just right. i also have a highcrack wormer no problems with it just put a new tip on and you cant beat the sound when you put on a big oak ring crack. used to have a saw bench but hse condemed it:thumbdown:

Hi matty, i run was talking to a bloke on sunday who told me a 434 like yours with cab would fetch about £1500 to a classic enthusiast and offered about 12-13 for mine that aint as nice as yours.

cash it in and get a thor splitter from Lee, had mine for about 3 year and its done a lot of logs and never mised a beat eaven on horrid old sweat chesnut!

A person will do better if they cut the stuff up in 16" or whatever size rather 3 or 4 foot stuff to block down later .

You end up with short pieces plus the stuff picks up dirt,gravel ,sand from being moved around two or three times and just eats up chains on the saw .

A person will do better if they cut the stuff up in 16" or whatever size rather 3 or 4 foot stuff to block down later .

You end up with short pieces plus the stuff picks up dirt,gravel ,sand from being moved around two or three times and just eats up chains on the saw .

Very true, i try to log everything on site now, it means you only move it once. Go for a pto vertical type, they are by far the eaiest to operate and they're not that deer, mine was £1500 and easily paid for itself in about 4 months.