New Zealand

Welcome Paul!

The big takedowns arn't the norm,but they are the most memorable!

I am supprised that you were earning $800 post tax per week,thats the highest wage I have heard of in the NZ Arb scene.That is me presuming you were climbing and not in a management type role.I worked and grew up in the South Island,so don't have a good idea of the wages or work that you get in Auckland.

I returned to Christchurch to work in 2003 after nearly five years in the Uk and Europe.My biggest supprise,contraray to Pauls experiance was how much more everything cost than in the UK.Although I was earning more units of currency,I had to pay more for everything.

Car cost more

Rent more

Food more

I also worked for a company that did street and park trees in Christchurch in the summer of 2006.I was getting $20 per hour,that is considered a good wage in Christchurch but probably not enough to save enough for a house now,as banks are asking a 20% deposit.

At the moment Petrol is over $2 per liter (cheapest its been in 3 years)

Average nation house price $375000 (does seem abit high to me)

There are alot of houses cheaper than the above,but commuting 60km per day would get expensive fast.

Also in the market I worked in,there was an absence of small jobs.Kind of like the 60quid fell,or Privit prune.New Zealanders have a "do it yourself" attitude and off they go to the dump with the Tree on the Trailer.

Also in the South Island there is a stong firewood market,so you could be dismantling a really nasty Macrocarpa for not a hell of alot more than its inhearant firewood value if you were working for a private company like I was in 03.

As Paul pointed out in his freindship with older Brits that had moved out and arn't going back.These people may well have arrived in NZ flush with Sterling and could afford a nicer house in an area more pleasent than what they left.

I knew a few younger people from the Brittish Isles who had immigrated to NZ and either left or moved to Aus.The ones that went back to the UK missed their family's and the ones that went to Aus didn't like the weather or felt the wages were too low in NZ.

At the end of the day, you would move to NZ for the lifestyle change.It might be to your liking or not.

"But you never know untill you try":001_smile:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew a few younger people from the Brittish Isles who had immigrated to NZ and either left or moved to Aus.The ones that went back to the UK missed their family's and the ones that went to Aus didn't like the weather or felt the wages were too low in NZ.

At the end of the day, you would move to NZ for the lifestyle change.It might be to your liking or not.

"But you never know untill you try":001_smile:

Thanks Mike,

this getting real interesting

Different people always have a different take on things, thats whats so good about this forum,IMO.

Whats the weather like?

And how would you describe the "life stile"?

Are the two Islands very different?, weather? population? economy?

Cheers Dave.

Thanks Mike,

Different people always have a different take on things, thats whats so good about this forum,IMO.

Whats the weather like?

Cheers Dave.

If you go can I have your furnace to keep buddha warm?

Thanks Mike,

Whats the weather like?

Cheers Dave.

The weather is generally hotter in the North Island.But places like central Otago in the South Island can be the hottest in the country,also the coldest in the winter.

"Life style" would probably be described as more "laid back".The outdoors are a huge recreation resource,skiing,fishing hunting etc.But as for accurate current comments there are some Brits on here that have immigrated recently that would provide better comments than me.

The two Islands are very different.Scenery in the South is more dramatic,mountains,Fijords,huge tracts of forest.Much less densely populated.The south island is the biggest island "The mainland"

but it used to only have one third the population.Things might have changed.

The largest city in the South,Christchurch has only about 350 000 people.As the name suggests the architecture is very English in the center.Large Victorian parks and old buildings.Well old for NZ buildings anyway!

The second largest city in the south is Dunedin,has about 115,000 people.

In the north Island,the largest city is Auckland. 1.4million people

Second largest city in the north island is Wellington. 500,000 people,this is also the capital.

There are many towns (cities) that fall below Wellington in size,Hamilton,Taupo,Napier,New Plymouth etc.

The North island is far from just all city,there are some beautiful and sparsly populated parts.Such as North land (sub tropical) and the central plateau,it looks like the highlands of Scotland.(Well from pictures of Scotland anyway).

So thats my take on it anyway.Better to hear from some recent Kiwi's to get a more rounded picture.:001_smile:

Hi all,

I'm sure most of us are reading this thread thinking... 'I wonder...' and 'what if...' etc so here are my few questions if anyone can help?

What is the training like over there... formal / informal etc?

Who are the main training providers and where are they based?

What are the main practical and academic / professional qualifications that people look for?

Is there much of a consultancy scene?

Many thanks guys... Happy New Year by the way!

The main traing providers are a couple of uni's or collages ,thing is their certs are not reconized out side nz or aus.I was on a 3year NZQA/lantra national certificate which is part time with block coarses.The company i worked for had accredited trainers so alot of certs/tickets were done in house.If you were unfortunate to not have in house trainers then it would be quite difficult.I found the whole thing very disorganized as certified arboriculture is still quite new in nz.We don't have NPTC or really anything like it,and to be honest i dont think you need it.I have found the whole NPTC thing money making scheme,as i thought it would be alot harder to get the tickets when in reality it was a breeze.

If you work for a big company like my old one Treescape or Asplundh then the consultancy work is there,and there plenty for the local authorities.

Any tickets or certs you have from here should swap right over to our system with no problems,which is more then can be said for coming over this way.(yes im sour about having to fork out £ to resit stuff i already new).

Hope thats gives you a bit of insite.

Mr mike hill as far as im aware workers in the big smoke or JAFA town as ppl call it do get paid alot more then anywhere else in nz.I think working for a massive company with a huge turnover helps with the wage aswell.With a bit of overtime each week i was earning over a grand,And i wasnt on top dollar either.The consultants or liason above us were acutally geting paid less but obivously were getting a decent package out of it.I think.because i was doing alot of utility work on a big new contract they could afford to pay more.

Yes house prices are crazy in nz and thats the reason why we are here as we couldn't get a morgage there,but we pretty much came into the same situation over here and its very hard to save pounds with the cost of living here.Dam i dont even do much ,i work and i surf.IF i have enough petrol in my car to get to the waves then thats my out goings.Cheap lifestyle i suppose it has to be living here.

I think if the oprtunity comes up to go i say go,cause ya just never know whats around the corner and you don't wana spend ya life thinking ''what if?''#

Thats my speil

Nothing to really do with the post but reading this reminded me of a funny little story.

My gf goes to the hairdressers down the road and one day while getting her hair done (about 2 hours :bored:) the hairdresser says that she is thinking about moving to NZ! Gf replies saying that it sounds great etc but why the move?

hairdresser "This country is just going to the dogs, I'm sick of everyone coming to this country and stealing our jobs"!!!

Ignorance or stupidity? :001_smile:

I think the hairdresser is ignorant,and if she went to nz wouldnt she be doin the same and stealing a kiwis job?hmm

Fire wood im not sure about all i know thats its sells really well.i used to climb or a guy who did firewood and he just couldnt get enough.Its different here people only want wood if its cut stacked and put on there fire,at home when your cutting a tree ppl are there waiting to pay cash for the wood and chips,using the resorces i suppose!