New Zealand

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gotta get myself there!! I get fed up of messing around with 30ft. trees, i love em all, don't get me wrong, but i really would love a few years experience working in trees like that. i'll have to get a flight booked once i'm finished studying!!

You'll need a good few years before you'd have the experiance to do Trees like that.But in the meantime keep building your skill set and before you know it,you'll be in NZ deadwooding with a 066.

• 1 month later...

Well im a bit late commenting on this topic but will put my 2 cents worth in.

Im a kiwi born and bred westy from auckland.

I think some ppl are exagerating a few things about nz.Its not all big takedowns with 088's and deadwooding with 66's.YEs we do have some decent sized trees.

I worked for a company called treescape which is the biggest in nz and there was alot of crane,heli and land clearing work,but like anywhere theres the normal arb side,pruning thinnning fromative work etc..

I personally think the money is much better,although me living in scotland the wages a possibly lower then england but from the rates i see that is not so.

All your nptc's will swap straight over to our national cert credits,i wish it could be the same way,as when i came over had to start from the bottom again which is very frustrating.standard week is long its around 40-50 hrs with over time on top,it aint long its just hows its done there.

We have alot more creepy crawlies and native things called Wetas which im not a fan off but its all good.

anyways thats about that.

cheers

Well im a bit late commenting on this topic but will put my 2 cents worth in.

Im a kiwi born and bred westy from auckland.

I think some ppl are exagerating a few things about nz.Its not all big takedowns with 088's and deadwooding with 66's.YEs we do have some decent sized trees.

I worked for a company called treescape which is the biggest in nz and there was alot of crane,heli and land clearing work,but like anywhere theres the normal arb side,pruning thinnning fromative work etc..

I personally think the money is much better,although me living in scotland the wages a possibly lower then england but from the rates i see that is not so.

All your nptc's will swap straight over to our national cert credits,i wish it could be the same way,as when i came over had to start from the bottom again which is very frustrating.standard week is long its around 40-50 hrs with over time on top,it aint long its just hows its done there.

We have alot more creepy crawlies and native things called Wetas which im not a fan off but its all good.

anyways thats about that.

cheers

Interesting post!!!!!!!!!!

It's always nice to here different perspectives on any subject.

Are you saying that the money in NZ is better than over here? or better than some make out? or both?

Are many of the creepy crawlies dangerous or just unpleasant?

I hope you don't mind all the questions, but NZ has always held a certain appeal too me, although at 39 happily married with 4 children, I doubt I would ever get the chance to go, but one can dream.

What made you leave?

If any other Kiwi's could give us their perspective, I for one would be most grateful.

Happy new year, Dave.

I think the money is better in nz.Heres a rough example for you.Say i got payed 800 a week nz after tax and had to get a tank of petrol for my olfd nissan patrol i would be left with 720 which is 80 bucks a tank.when over here say a basic wage is 400quid.the mondeo takes one fifth of that in petrol and i am left with much less and the living isnt cheap but obivously it isnt dirt cheap in nz either.I found at home my wage went alot further.IS quite a broad example but its what i could think of at the time.Also ya cant look at exchanges rates and the like as its all relevant when your earning in which ever country.

As for the creepy crawlies and the like,We get red backs,black widows and a coastal spider i cant remember the name of but nothing that can really kill you like OZ.

I have a slight form of aracnaphobia(excuse the spelling) which is good in the uk as you guys have nothing here.The weta on the other hand is in just about every nook and crany of most trees where im from and although they dont harm as such,having one crawl down the neck in your shirt is not the nicest,ive seen many a hard man running around the site trying to swat the things off(quite funny i can assure you)google them and you will see.

What made me come here?

Well me and the family got quite stagnant in nz and just fancied a change,the wife got offered a job on a estate as a groom for a lord and lady and here we are nearly 2 years down the track.don't know how long we will be here for just have to see how it goes.

We had quite a few older british friends that took the plunge with their familys,and i tell ya what none are coming back.

anyway thats about that for now.im sure plenty of ppl will have different takes on what ive said but thats all good.

cheers

I was out there 9 years ago on holiday, i got offered a job on my first day.27.50 dollars an hour that was based on being selfemployed 3 days a week.

I didnt know if that was any good, until my cousin who was the sub editor of the Aukland Herald told me she got 15 dollars an hour.and she had a good lifestyle.

The trees are amazing, and huge, check out the big Fig trees(mountain bay i think)

Really cool country, The gums are monsters. i saw some that must have been 250 feet plus.