self employed

beechhunter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 foot? That will be why it is so cheap. Who provides the cover?

Hi mate its C E T A insurance 0845 4583067 .Its mainly for me mowing and maintainance wor it didnt cost much extra to add it . like i say leave the tree work to the experts . Atb Roy

I disagree with rupe on this, a gardener mate of mine was strimming last year and a stone kicked up and hit a passer by in the face, the case went to court and even luckily my Mates public liability insurance dealt with the outcome. Even if you do the odd job for yourself and contract for others then some form of P/L is for peace of mind, in today's society of where there is blame there is a claim then how can people afford not to have insurance.

yes i was thinking of such a mishap, its more for peace of mind for both my customers and for me should that stone flicked up by the strimmer bounce off and smash a window and smack a passer by. probably not a good advert for my skills but just and example..

thanks for the advice though Gents

Just the odd branch or two .It was an add on i leave the treework to you guys to get the job done properly . ATB Roy

yep i would have to say the same, not within my skill set or at my age do i want to be hauling my bod up a tree...theres some good food for thought in these posts

• 3 weeks later...

Im going self employed in the near future, and will get myself some pl insurance, whats the crack with paying another man to come and work for me paying him as a self employed arborist/climber with his own insurance, do i still need to have employers liability??

Hmmm, some pretty cheap insurance on here!..you pay for what you get. I know a bloke who swapped insurance companies and got a much cheaper premium. He got all his saws etc stolen and when he claimed, he didn't get 'new for old' and ended up replacing less than half of what was stolen. When it comes to PL if you've got a 5m height restriction...they will not pay out on anything bigger than a bonsai tree!. Lots of firms using landscapers insurance around here and claiming to be 'fully insured', thats why I laminate my insurance certificate and show customers when I quote....I pay enough for it after all.

Hmmm, some pretty cheap insurance on here!..you pay for what you get. I know a bloke who swapped insurance companies and got a much cheaper premium. He got all his saws etc stolen and when he claimed, he didn't get 'new for old' and ended up replacing less than half of what was stolen. When it comes to PL if you've got a 5m height restriction...they will not pay out on anything bigger than a bonsai tree!. Lots of firms using landscapers insurance around here and claiming to be 'fully insured', thats why I laminate my insurance certificate and show customers when I quote....I pay enough for it after all.

You told me it was so you could eat yoghurt with it :001_tt2:

Im going self employed in the near future, and will get myself some pl insurance, whats the crack with paying another man to come and work for me paying him as a self employed arborist/climber with his own insurance, do i still need to have employers liability??

i can helpfully say i'm not sure. I was told you would need to have seperate equipment, transport etc and realistically this aint practical, ie chipper/lowering equipment that both of you would use.

I also wonder what happens if damage results from a fault of both parties eg in a rigging situation - limb rigged badly, groundie lets it run too far, swings into a passing cyclist etc etc (i wont get graffic!) - both at fault -who claims on their insurance? Will the insurers try and blame each other's side to get out of the payout? or will they happily except a 50:50?

Someone might know.

i can helpfully say i'm not sure. I was told you would need to have seperate equipment, transport etc and realistically this aint practical, ie chipper/lowering equipment that both of you would use.

I also wonder what happens if damage results from a fault of both parties eg in a rigging situation - limb rigged badly, groundie lets it run too far, swings into a passing cyclist etc etc (i wont get graffic!) - both at fault -who claims on their insurance? Will the insurers try and blame each other's side to get out of the payout? or will they happily except a 50:50?

Someone might know.

It would come down to 'whose job is it?' One person must be the one deciding the where, when and how of the work. There are very few circumstances where a 'self-employed' person truly is self-employed rather than merely a free-lancer. They would need to be sub-contracted in, run the job site themself, use all their own kit, provide their own Employer's Liability insurance in the event of having other workers helping etc etc :001_smile:

It would come down to 'whose job is it?' One person must be the one deciding the where, when and how of the work. There are very few circumstances where a 'self-employed' person truly is self-employed rather than merely a free-lancer. They would need to be sub-contracted in, run the job site themself, use all their own kit, provide their own Employer's Liability insurance in the event of having other workers helping etc etc :001_smile:

Awight felix:biggrin:

so the situation with two self employed arbz working as a team, each with their own insurance is a total no go then? especially when they are working together eg rigging, chipping, highways etc