oh rats!!!!!!!!!

firewoodman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else have rats in the wood pile?

any ideas on how to get rid of them?

cant poison them cos they'll die in the pile and live traps aint working too well

Deadcatch traps (Fenn MkIV) in wooden tunnels depending on where your woodpile is just put them next to a wall. All the usual stuff - use old traps if you can get them, no mineral oil and old untreated wood for the tunnels

Cheers

mac

We found a good way of catching them was to part fill a bucket with water (deep enough to drown a rat) put it next to something for the rats to climb up and then drop a few handfuls of dry dog/cat/horse food on the top, the food floats, the rats jump in and cant get out so it drowns. Only problem is it needs some sort of roof over it ideally.

Failing that, air rifle or .410 and a lamp on a night, brilliant sport!

Terriers are great but I wouldn't fancy shifting the pile every time. You could try running a pipe from an old saw exhaust and running it with a bit too much two stroke oil in and stick the pipe into the bottom of the heap to try and flush them to the terrier.

Always thought too much of my ferrets to send them down to rats, at least the odds are a bitt better even if it's one terrier to a few rats.

Grain trailer with high sides, bit of grain in the bottom, plank up from the outside, plank down to the inside.

Give it a few days so the rats get used to going in and out for a feast but leave the little slide open at the back.

Day or two more and remove the inside plank.

The rats will still jump in being greedy, but they know they can get out of the slide.

Another day or so and shut the slide! They'll still jump in but can't get out!

When you think you have sufficient rats in the trailer chuck in the terriers!

Yes i have got rats at home and at the woodyard,i am using fenn traps at home and the king charles tells me when i have got one he wont stop barking at it until i empty it lol. at the woodyard i dont really bother to much unless they get to bad then i set traps and poison.:thumbdown:ps i hate rats.

as a keen ratter my self i would use terriers ! there are plenty of lads running terrier packs in wales ! lift the wood up with your tractor and send the dogs in, smoke them out and let the dogs go to work ! if your stuck i know a few lads down that way and would be glad to help. The other option are Fennman mk5/6 using maze as bate. look at BASC for the use of the traps. good hunting