Using a platform with operator...problems!

conkers

Just to say.... Nationwide sent there 35m truck mount today and the operator came with a can do attitude.

Really tight access, real nightmare to get the wagon in and out.

Told him the tree is totally knackered and that the risk assesment/ method statement does not make for nice reading.

He just got us up there and got the job done. Totally different to the first guy who just did not want to do it and made up the first excuse that poped into his head.

All went smoothly.. bit scary looking at the bottom of the tree tho. About 20% holding wood on a 70-80ft Doug Fir with a full crown!

Nice one! :001_smile:

It gives you confidence when they have that attitude.

You can just focus on what you're doing rather than having to think about them so much.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear my wp harness for mewp work as I occasionally like to get out and do a bit from the harness.

If we have a lot of big trees to work on, the mewp can be used just for quick crown access for the climbers. So they are in their wp harnesses anyway.

I know we all do it but I'm sure I remember from my MEWP course that you're strictly not allowed to leave the bucket as pendulum forces when you're out on your rope can affect the stability.

I didnt think we were talking about using the mewp as an anchor point and climbing from there?

Using the mewp to access the crown, tying into the tree as per usual, is ok.

Actually, according to the IPAF course, using a mewp as a man lift is out of the question, as is dropping anything from the basket while aloft.

I discussed these issues with the trainer, and he said that industry specific practices could overrule IPAF rules, as long as they were properly risk assessed. (Basically, do what you like but don't blame us if you come a cropper)

Ok, Here goes.......

1, Ground rules are 5m/two tree lenghts/twice produce length etc. Nothing stated on baskets or aeriel.

2, A cage guard could be used, but should be provided by the hire company, as it needs to be suitable for the machine.

3, The operator could use the ground controls, whilst you are in the basket (with good comunications of course!)

4, It (in theory) shouldnt matter if you are not trained to operate the MEWP, as this is what the operator is for. so

5, If you are trained, dont get an operator, just do it yourself!

Que numerous replies.........

As all you guy's that have the IPAF ticket know .. you MUST not wear anything other than a fall arrest harness while working in a MEWP, you MUST not drop anything from the MEWP, you must not hold any timber into the MEWP, you MUST be on a short lanyard so as to not get thrown from the MEWP bucket....etc etc mesh guards and all that too!!!!.....the list is long in relation to MEWPS within the Arb industry, but as most of you know its about the risks / hazards and what controls you have put into place to manage these...

Buy the way we use W/P harnesses ....We hold timber before dropping it to the ground...bring the saw into the bucket you know all the things you MUST not do!!!!!

By the way I believe you do not even need an IPAF ticket to hire and use a platform that is assuming you can drive one be it on a 3.5 or greater/smaller .....only familiarisation training.....whats that all about!!!!.......

As all you guy's that have the IPAF ticket know .. you MUST not wear anything other than a fall arrest harness while working in a MEWP, you MUST not drop anything from the MEWP, you must not hold any timber into the MEWP, you MUST be on a short lanyard so as to not get thrown from the MEWP bucket....etc etc mesh guards and all that too!!!!.....the list is long in relation to MEWPS within the Arb industry, but as most of you know its about the risks / hazards and what controls you have put into place to manage these...

Buy the way we use W/P harnesses ....We hold timber before dropping it to the ground...bring the saw into the bucket you know all the things you MUST not do!!!!!

By the way I believe you do not even need an IPAF ticket to hire and use a platform that is assuming you can drive one be it on a 3.5 or greater/smaller .....only familiarisation training.....whats that all about!!!!.......

You're pretty much right. I did the NPTC course but never saw the paperwork, so another boss pushed me onto the IPAF, completley different rules n regs.

This leads to inadequesies(?) and varied competances within the industry and can be the root cause of many hostilities between staff on sites.

The rules are you need a certificate of competance to show you have been trained in the use of the item. It does NOT state who the regulatory body or the training provider has to be.

Can we assume then that if we book a MEWP out for tree work it SHOULD come equipped with a mesh separator?

Surely the professional contractor here ie the MEWP operator should know what is required for the job.

I would be livid if they turned up and wouldnt carry out the work.:thumbdown: