Using a platform with operator...problems!

conkers

Hi,

We hired a 35m truck mount platform today.

The operator turned up but declined to carry on as he was unable to operate the platform while I was in the 4 man basket using a chainsaw.

Is this a new bit of general H&S or is it just Nationwide platforms. Anybody else has similar issues?

By the way the company did know the nature of the work and did not ask if we had an IPAF ticket.

Cheers:confused1:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some companies have gone down the route of a steel mesh divider in the cage I believe.

Have to say I have never had an operator refuse to get in the basket with me, sometime they look as if they wish they hadn't, but its too late by then!

Hi,

We hired a 35m truck mount platform today.

The operator turned up but declined to carry on as he was unable to operate the platform while I was in the 4 man basket using a chainsaw.

Is this a new bit of general H&S or is it just Nationwide platforms. Anybody else has similar issues?

By the way the company did know the nature of the work and did not ask if we had an IPAF ticket.

Cheers:confused1:

i hired one from them last year.. cant remember height but it was on a 24 ton chassis.. never asked us for any tickets which was good cos we dont have any.. took the driver over hour and half to set it up and i had to help with

most of it.. he didnt have a clue what he was doing as it was 1st time he'd taken it out.. when we finally got it going we did the job with no problems..

Some companies have gone down the route of a steel mesh divider in the cage I believe.

Have to say I have never had an operator refuse to get in the basket with me, sometime they look as if they wish they hadn't, but its too late by then!

That seems like common sense. Too late now but I may suggest it tomorrow when I try and get another. Cheers

Out of interest did the hire co. charge you for the day' date=' because [i']they refused to carry out the task they had been engaged to do?

Nationwide are not charging us for the day and have agreed to carry out the work on Thursday as long as we provide a screen.

Have to say they have been good about it. I just wish it was common knowledge that the changes had been made!