Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

just bringing in another 60t of ash and another 65t of oak next week(dead for years and bone dry).

Anyone tried horse chestnut for firewood??? I've got the chance of 500t+

sales are about the same as last year and briquettes are in just about every local farm shop. I reckon my area is going to go mad with the first cold spell? As alot of customers have still not ordered yet as it's still fairly mild. Jon did you see my message about a friend of mine lives in Frome and he's after nice seasoned hardwood logs,

Thanks Phil

Edited by philg
spelling

just bringing in another 60t of ash and another 65t of oak next week(dead for years and bone dry).

sales are about the same as last year and briquettes are in just about every local farm shop. I reckon my area is going to go mad with the first cold spell? As alot of customers have still not ordered yet as it's still fairly mild. Jon did you see my message about a friend of mine lives in Frome and he's after nice seasoned hardwood logs,

Thanks Phil

Sweet chestnut spits. Horse chestnut I dont think does. I had some horse that had fallen over for around 5 years bone dry and very light to pick up but burnt a treat, I would say as good as beech. For some reason not as well thought of as some firewood.

Thanks Phil

No problems with horse c/nut it has been given a lot of bad press. No complaints from my customers about it the same as beech or sycamore but very light. The orders are steady which is no bad thing but was expecting more!

Lots of calls but people are holding off comfirming orders which is maybe cashflow problems?

I have been getting people call and ask me if i will hold them some of my special offers until payday, which is tomorrow and friday for a lot of people.

I haven't as yet had a rubber cheque but i'm sure it will come!!

Another thread said about firewood merchants being cash based but i can see it being the only way soon. Cheques are costing a lot to pay in and the same if i used a card machine. Half these people i don't know and once you have delivered you have no rights to return and remove the goods.

I thought maybe of a xmas club or installments like the old days but it all relies on trust!

To date i have been pretty flexible with taking cheques, but not had one bounce yet! I am also getting loads of sales through my website which requires the people to pay up at time of ordering. Paypal merchant services take 3% but as you say cheques and certainly card machines cost a similar amount.

For me having the person online and the money in the bank before i even leave my yard is the way forward, i seem to have a nicer chat with the person when i do not have to ask for payment etc. They also seem more at ease...

A friend has tried the xmas club type thing with his coal this year and its not working, people seem too skint to even think about the winter.

For me having the person online and the money in the bank before i even leave my yard is the way forward, i seem to have a nicer chat with the person when i do not have to ask for payment etc. They also seem more at ease...

That makes a lot of sense and 3% is pretty reasonable if you consider that you have to pay a cash handling fee if you pay that in. It does leave a paper trail for the tax man to pick up on, but grown up businesses shouldn't be concerned about that.

QUOTE=philg Anyone tried horse chestnut for firewood??? I've got the chance of 500t+

we were pleasantly surprised by H Chestnut in that it didn't spit. what a blessing. bit light, quick to go moldy, can shatter in splitting when moldy. but looked like sycamore when dried clean. :thumbup1: