Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

Delivered 190cube last quarter July-Sep as well as fencing all summer been on logs full time for 2 weeks now, cutting to order now it is crazy, prices gone up today and still booked up till mid week next at the moment. Compared with this time last year I am 60% up on sales, I am shocked for the demand.

• 2 weeks later...

Sales have slowed this last fortnight due to the mild weather. Those customers who were out are probably stocked up already and those who we haven’t heard from we saw quite late last season so won’t be in need yet I imagine.

Had a good 70 odd cube out through September though which is our best September yet!

• 1 month later...

4 calls before 9.30 this freezing cold frosty morning. Not easy to write down names and addresses when you cant feel your fingers!

Been waiting for a cold snap like this to push the sales on though so it’s all good really.

How’s everyone else getting on this season?

We've sold more than ever in the year because of wholesale loads but our own sales seem down a bit for the time of year. Not sure if it's because we put prices up or just the weather. 

Still 300cube of logs last month so keeping us busy and we normally peak in January, February when suppliers who don't dry their logs run out. 

Started off crazy busy and to point we stopped selling hardwood to new customers to keep enough stores for the regulars. Much quieter now thankfully with just a steady trickle of orders coming in. Saying we are out of hardwood but you can have softwood has not put off half as many as it might of a few years back. Either minds are changing or they are desperate haha.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ash_smith123 said:

Averaging 70/80 cube a week at the moment. We've stopped selling seasoned hardwood this year and started doing softwood instead and it's gone nuts, really pleased how it's gone. Kiln dried hardwood is still going as well as ever

That's mega volume Ash! How much stock do you hold to sustain those figures if you don't mind me asking? I think you  said you we using a 40ft container with 36 in each batch. You must be around 1500m3/year by now. The joys of being able to dry I suppose.

How are your customers reacting to the softwood? Are you having to do a hard sell? 
Why stop the seasoned hardwoods!
They seem to love it, we make sure it's bone dry and it burns lovely.
Not really, we priced it low to start to get people onto it for this year at £80 a cubic metre when we sell kiln dried at £120, that's a big difference in price to most people.
Hardwoods been a nightmare to find this year and we have expended more into wholesale kindling so kiln space has been a premium. Import all the hardwood and dry the softwood and kindling ourselves.