Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

Sales are getting ridiculous now, been quiet for a few weeks then we did over a hundred cube last week and it looks like the same this week. On top of that we've got 2 people looking to buy wholesale, one of which will take 30 cube a time and woodchip to do.

We've got empty boxes and piles of wood everywhere and are drying anyhow we can. It's brilliant but very tiring. :)

Sales are getting ridiculous now, been quiet for a few weeks then we did over a hundred cube last week and it looks like the same this week. On top of that we've got 2 people looking to buy wholesale, one of which will take 30 cube a time and woodchip to do.

We've got empty boxes and piles of wood everywhere and are drying anyhow we can. It's brilliant but very tiring. :)

Great stuff! Do you work on your own or have people help you out?

Great stuff! Do you work on your own or have people help you out?

Bit of both. My dad does the deliveries and I do the cutting with someone else helping me between 2 and 5 days a week in the winter. That's in addition to normal farm work which is why we need help.

What is your best day in terms of volume sold?

We had a few days last week we were selling over 30 m3 a day to local houses. We also do a little bit to shops and other merchants so had one day we did about 40 m3 all in.

Just keeps getting busier generally. We put prices up to slow demand but that has not worked. Can't complain it will not always be like this so have to make the most of it.

We had a few days last week we were selling over 30 m3 a day to local houses. We also do a little bit to shops and other merchants so had one day we did about 40 m3 all in.

Just keeps getting busier generally. We put prices up to slow demand but that has not worked. Can't complain it will not always be like this so have to make the most of it.

Yh thats exactly right don't knock it!!

Bit of both. My dad does the deliveries and I do the cutting with someone else helping me between 2 and 5 days a week in the winter. That's in addition to normal farm work which is why we need help.

Does the logs get in the way of the farm work and vice verser.

Just out if interest what sort of farm is it you have?

Does the logs get in the way of the farm work and vice verser.

Just out if interest what sort of farm is it you have?

It's beef and sheep but not many cattle left now because they lose money and we planted a fair bit of our land with trees. We also do a bit of contracting which is why we have decent tractors and loaders that the firewood business can rent.

The two businesses work pretty well together because they're in opposite halves of the year, only problems are we don't have time to do fencing this time of year anymore and lambing from mid February onwards is a real struggle but we normally have just enough stockpiles to see us to the end of the firewood season.

Do you do contracting such as hay or silage making, reason I ask is me nan has contractors to her hay but I'm thinking of doing me self and I'm on the look out for any machinery for sale.

My dad started off with silage then we switched to big square baling and wrapping and a bit of spraying but we're no where near the scale we used to be.

We used to replace machinery regularly but now all the baling equipment is around 10 years old and we'll just keep it going.

You can find old balers pretty cheap but there's a lot of wearable parts and knotters in particular are always breaking no matter how old the machine.