Tree hammocks

Ian Flatters

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the the Exped Scout Hammock Combi.

Hammock, tarp, mosi net, brilliant bit of kit, very easy and quick to set up.

Great for ducking the hottest parts of the day.

I do fancy a bigger tarp like the DD 3x3.

Not camped over night yet but will be soon in next week or so.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1402217412.167350.jpg.168304133f94d1c28c4b718451b50251.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1402217458.045775.jpg.2cd1fdfb6f7d969ce1b081d9c6713d71.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1402217549.591439.jpg.3ae1e0eb6cd51dfeee030bbceb8fc298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1402217516.614034.jpg.17de05465f7842b452e3b99b0c95746b.jpg

I use one of these when working away in places where it's worth staying on site.

I've spent weeks at a time staying in it and is EASILY the most comfortable hammock I've ever stayed in. Goes up in less than 30 seconds and combined with my Exped Downmat Lite (cannot praise these highly enough), Snugpak 4 season bag and Snugpak Tarp (so I have a place to cook and read/sit when it's raining, this makes a real difference to the outdoor living experience, it's never any fun only having a sleep space when it's raining), make for a very comfortable setup.

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/413

Something I forgot to mention. If you have a sleeping bag without a zip and a Hennessy. You have to enter the bag BEFORE the hammock and exit the hammock BEFORE exiting the bag.

If you presently have a zipless bag and are looking at getting your first hammock, don't get a Hennessy. Especially, if you have to go to the toilet half way through a sleep-in. I really like mine but it can be a real chore in wet weather, when there's puddles & mud galore.

Edited by TGB

Some great recommendations there, couple of things that I've been wondering about tho, which of these systems is gonna work best with having to remain clipped in via my climbing system whilst sleeping? Assuming that you need to remain anchored to the tree?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Arbtalk mobile app

If you want to stay clipped in, then it's a ports-ledge and a zipped entry sleeping bag. Either get one that is or waterproof the sleeping bag once you've got it.

You could stay clipped in, in DD but would not be able to use a mosi net. Well actually you could, as some come with a zipped-in net. But as the little blighters only need a tiny entry gap to make life hell. What would be the point in zipping up to your lifeline, and still be eaten alive? With an enclosed type ports-ledge, you could dispense with having to have a waterproof bag and still be clipped in but this would be adding weight.

For everything hammock, look here https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

For everything tarps, look here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forum.php and ask about tarps.

Edited by TGB

nick you can stay clippped in with a treeboat no prob's the clip on tree boat tent is designed for this, also the TB tent is super easy to put on in the tree or pull over you in the midddle of the night as the rain starts, it is expensive but i spend over 40 nights a year in it so went for quality

Yeah, tree boat seems to be the one; shame the cost is so high but I guess you're paying for the specific design of what it does and you'd like to think it'll be made to last. Haven't looked about yet but any ideas if there's a British supplier?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Arbtalk mobile app

All this talk makes me want to finish off my hammock .. had a hennessy hammock years ago and got halfway through sewing a layer of insulation on the underside ..

Only once tried it up a tree but it was between two sitkas and the flex was just too much to keep the tarp taught.

One little tip;

Get one of the really cheap light net hammocks and string it up just underneath your hammock to store your gear in. Keeps everything dry and off the ground, and slows down the wind a bit.

I do like the bottom entry on this one and if you had a wee length of dynamic rope then you could have a little bit of slack on it and velcro it up real tight around to keep the insects out..

Besides, people say that you don't get midges above 25ft, anybody actually found it to be true? :)