Dead Wood Habitat

David Humphries

Went back to re-reduce the new monoliths neighbour today.

This one was created in 2007 and is heavily decayed by Ganoderma & Laetiporus, so there is both white & brown cubical rot in attendance.

Because of this & the type of species, I've elected to re-reduce to a more 'comfortable' height with regards to public safety.

The two largest branches had very week attachments so we ripped these completely off, leaving the two smaller branches reduced by half.

I'm happy now to leave it pretty much to it's own devices, but will inspect it annually as with our other Standing Dead Wood.

This Monolith is one of a number that is on a current invertebrate survey.

IMG_5284.JPG.0e7678e57adf670e04525a68ceaa9ec8.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG.748f0fae98c7eb5f00e848f7827e220f.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG.882e2fc9ab7ad6f1f57a1269e9b2d0de.JPG

hello guys, i am just finishing up a report on P and D in an arboretum and wrote a bit about dead wood habitat in managed gardens... I found this helpful and interesting ... maybe you have read it, but I thought i'd chuck it up.

http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr181/004_Butler.pdf

Crackin pics monkey... I'd like to come see what your doing first hand some time if you don't mind????

hello guys, i am just finishing up a report on P and D in an arboretum and wrote a bit about dead wood habitat in managed gardens... I found this helpful and interesting ... maybe you have read it, but I thought i'd chuck it up.

http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr181/004_Butler.pdf

Crackin pics monkey... I'd like to come see what your doing first hand some time if you don't mind????

I have read that before, it's a good reference from the ATF clan :thumbup1:

In terms of seeing what we do in the flesh, then join the queue :lol:

Seriously, I take many a waif & stray around our happy little Heath.

They come from all corners.

Sweden, Belgium, (Watford :sneaky2:) even have an enterprising Arb from the Royal Botanic Gardens at Edinburgh coming down next week for a gander.

Give me a shout at work if your interested.

E-mails below :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

Went back to re-reduce the new monoliths neighbour today. This one was created in 2007 ... I'm happy now to leave it pretty much to it's own devices, but will inspect it annually as with our other Standing Dead Wood.

David,

Did you (also) consider to have artists make wood sculptures out of the trunks of some of the trees ? Some years ago, in three parks in Rotterdam, I've been monitoring the macrofungi on 25 poplars, of which the lower two to three metres of the upright standing trunks without bark were left behind of which local artists made very nice "temporary" sculptures. After 5 years, a total of 46 species of macrofungi was documented from the trees of which some of the sculptures were naturally "modified" by the mycelium of superficial white rotters.

Edited by Fungus