084av max bar lenth

yewhunter18

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you get a good one,they have seen a lot of use by now & milling is going to give it a workout,might be better getting an 880 or 3120 as they will be fresher,love my 3120,it pulls a six foot bar with skip chain (cross cutting,as I have not milled) in dead oak without busting its gut.

The gear drive saws are the ultimate for milling because of the torque as mentioned but I tend to agree that I would want something more modern for regular milling because of parts availability.

Power is a combination of torque and revs. Older saws tend to have more of the latter, less of the former, so they won't bog down in wide cuts (even without skip chain).

If you are seriously considering very long bars, have you considered double powerhead based set-ups using 076/075 (same thing, different label). They're a good compromise on torque/revs, very durable and have good parts availability, both OEM and pattern, as the TS760 (disk cutter version) only went out of production a couple of years back? This also gets round the problem of the auxiliary oiler.

If you've read the Malhoff book you'll have seen the set-ups for pulling the mill through the log with a hand winch on the end of the log, which is how you run a twin powerhead set-up singlehanded. Never tried it myself - I stick to things under about 3ft for preference as life's too short for that much chainsaw milling!

Alec

Hi Alec thanks for that must of taken you ages to write all that , the thing us I'm 18 on a crap wage fir my apprenticeship so iv decided I'll get an 084 to start off then if I enjoy it I'll get an 090 maybe an 880 as for 090 pots and pistons are on eBay for very good money , only reason for a 7' bar is I know I guy taking down a 6' beech and if it's solid I'm gunna plank it (hopefully) cheers lee

QUOTE=yewhunter18;493391]Ahh I see £380 alot of money for an experiment

Hi Lee, yes that's what I was driving at - 7ft bars are expensive, as is a 7ft chain, as a combination to the point where if you're buying new it's probably more than the saw! As such, it's pretty much the case that if you can afford the bar and chain then you can afford pretty much any powerhead going...

In my case, I simply can't justify it, which is why I went down the slightly smaller route.

The other main issue with the 084 is that the pot and piston are one of the very few which aren't available aftermarket, which means Stihl, which means paying more than the saw is worth to repair it if you ever have a problem. This is where the 075 and 076 score heavily in my opinion - the powerheads don't command the premium of the 090 or 880, it had a very long production run (best part of 35yrs) so there are plenty of spares about and you can get aftermarket parts.

Hence in your situation, which has some parallels with mine except I don't have a need for very wide boards, I would be inclined to start with one 075 or 076 powerhead and run a fairly long bar, say 4ft. I could use this to freehand quarter up to around 8ft (which is pretty much anything you'll find in the UK) and then plank it up in up to 3ft6 widths, which is about as wide as you can move without heavy lifting gear, if they're you're typical 3in thick, 8ft long type. However, that's just my opinion, so I wouldn't take it too seriously if you fancy going a completely different route :biggrin:

Alec

p.s. I touch type at about 100wpm - about the only useful thing I got from one of my lecturers who insisted that all essays were typed. I decided that across the course of the year it would take less time to learn to touch type than to type them one fingered. Hence longish replies don't take too much effort!