I need info about Fracture Pruning

Sambo

I'd love to have some more information about fracture pruning and it's Pro's/Con's?!

I'm currently in the mind that to (for example) reduce a tree overall, using fracture pruning cuts, might look a bit odd due to the fact that trees would not shed limbs uniformly over their entire crown? (I'm quite inexperienced and being the Devil's advocate here!)

I'd also like to know how to pitch this technique to potential customers as i would guess it takes more time to carry out.

Any info for and against would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Take the time to read what comes up on Google. You'll learn a lot.

Why would you try to sell this to typical clients? What is your pruning objective?

There is a place for these techinques but not generally for typical consumers.

Can not see your name in the who's posted section on the Fracture Pruning Thread.

Have you read it?

If not the below link is a good starting point then maybe a follow up call to Paul Muir at TreeWorks Environmental Practice

http://www.arborecology.co.uk/resources/coronetcuts_naturalfracture.PDF

Nev Faye and his team are at the very forefront with this technique and philosophy.

http://www.treeworks.co.uk/

I'd also like to know how to pitch this technique to potential customers as i would guess it takes more time to carry out.

This "technique"?

Quoting from Neville Fay's article Natural Fracture Pruning Techniques and Coronet Cuts "Natural fracture techniques involve pruning methods that are used to mimic the way that tears and fractured ends naturally occur on trunks and branches. A coronet cut is a type of natural fracture technique that is particularly intended to mimic jagged edges characteristically seen on broken branches following storm damage or static limb failure. (sic) This occurrence creates microhabitats that are colonised by microorganisms and succession species."

This technique you want to use and sell to clients is designed to promote decay and therefore benefit microorganisms that live off of the decaying wood.

This, indeed, may be very good for the planet but it is not good for the individual tree. There are many things that are good for the ecosystem that are not appropriate to be used in close proximity to people. A rotting carcass comes to mind; excellent habitat.

Just stating this as a check and balance, so to speak, for those enthusiastic about this type of work for the primary reason of raising their revenue.

Dave

This "technique"?

This technique you want to use and sell to clients is designed to promote decay and therefore benefit microorganisms that live off of the decaying wood.

This, indeed, may be very good for the planet but it is not good for the individual tree. There are many things that are good for the ecosystem that are not appropriate to be used in close proximity to people. A rotting carcass comes to mind; excellent habitat.

Just stating this as a check and balance, so to speak, for those enthusiastic about this type of work for the primary reason of raising their revenue.

Dave

Fair and well raised point David, but please do not unnecesserily cloud the early conception here, by what is in my opinion a misunderstood idea of where these techniques are to be applied.

I rather doubt (possibly a tad naively) that people are touting this in the back gardens of our fine Metropolises.

A concept which I believe the eastern side of the Atlantic appear to have grasped, I judge this on the interpretation of input by the thread contributers. :ciao:

Second picture is detail of recently Fractured and Coronetted Ash Monolith after survey and incremental re-reduction.

P9010032.JPG.e999ace684487d7fdd2496823f92385e.JPG

P7160002.JPG.53635edeb33f796c59ecce6b07e7b530.JPG

Dave, You are an extremely talented artisan. That is the best example of a monolith that I have seen to date.

Now if you could just curb your enthusiasm to work on only dead, standing trees, I would give you a big thumbs up. It is the using this technique on live trees that I have a real problem with.

Dave

Dave, You are an extremely talented artisan. That is the best example of a monolith that I have seen to date.

Now if you could just curb your enthusiasm to work on only dead, standing trees, I would give you a big thumbs up. It is the using this technique on live trees that I have a real problem with.

Dave

The comment, myself and team very much appreciate. The debate however, which is wheighed heavily toward your righteous and learned view will i hope long continue, much like my/our enthusiasm to apply our skills widely over the entire spectrum of Arboricultural works.

Including one or two live wood fractured and coronetted retrenchments and/or Monoliths, location dependent ofcourse. :001_smile: