stock fencing

allan coates

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would waite a wile for the groung to be wetter as it is easier to put post in deeper so they hold better in the long term. and get good posts.

Definitely! Especially if your using a Parmiter or something like that, with the ground being so hard, will be very easy to damage posts above & below ground, which will lead to them failing pretty quickly with small cracks etc.to let wet in. Also hard on the machinery and not always so straight forward to get them straight and true if your fighting 'concrete' soil.

I had to replace 3 strainers the other day, all machined in when the ground was fairly dry, all failed after 4 years, probably due to underground damage. Dug them in by hand, had to crow bar the first 12" out, and it wasn't until I was just over 2' down that soil became more easy to dig! So dry out there at the mo.

Having said that, posts don't last as long, I think they have taken the arsenic or cyanide (can't remember which) out of the treating process, which is a good thing, but has reduced the life of a softwood post loads. Have you /or your client considered Sweet Chestnut? Lasts for ages and supports the small / green wood & coppice workers......Just a thought.

Reckon your about right with the pricing, £4.50+ per m minimum, but as others have said, depends on straining style and wire used etc. Best wire I have ever used was Tornado, easy to work with, no kinks etc if straining by hand and looks the business. Lasts for ages to, worth paying the extra per roll in my opinion.

Good luck! :001_smile:

tanalised timber just doesnt seem to last especially in some soil conditions. You can get post etc to building specification, i think its use4 for posts and this is garunteed for 15, 30 or 60 yrs but obviously it all comes at a cost.

With the cost of decent tantalised softwood timber at the moment I'm surprised you wanna supply and fit for 4.50 a meter as if the ground is hard going under hedges and trees you won't get the meters up per day to cover costs. HT stock net is essentially over a pound per meter for good quality stuff that won't look look crap in 6 months time so whack your price up a bit

What Gareth said. £5/m min unless it's a new fence across the middle of a level field on not too damp sand.

Avoid the really cheap stocknet- it's all made from recycled wire. End result is that each line has a different breaking strength/tensile properties and some lines will sag or may just break when you pull the whole lot with the clamps.

Hope this helps.

Definitely! Especially if your using a Parmiter or something like that, with the ground being so hard, will be very easy to damage posts above & below ground, which will lead to them failing pretty quickly with small cracks etc.to let wet in. Also hard on the machinery and not always so straight forward to get them straight and true if your fighting 'concrete' soil.

I had to replace 3 strainers the other day, all machined in when the ground was fairly dry, all failed after 4 years, probably due to underground damage. Dug them in by hand, had to crow bar the first 12" out, and it wasn't until I was just over 2' down that soil became more easy to dig! So dry out there at the mo.

Having said that, posts don't last as long, I think they have taken the arsenic or cyanide (can't remember which) out of the treating process, which is a good thing, but has reduced the life of a softwood post loads. Have you /or your client considered Sweet Chestnut? Lasts for ages and supports the small / green wood & coppice workers......Just a thought.

Reckon your about right with the pricing, £4.50+ per m minimum, but as others have said, depends on straining style and wire used etc. Best wire I have ever used was Tornado, easy to work with, no kinks etc if straining by hand and looks the business. Lasts for ages to, worth paying the extra per roll in my opinion.

Good luck! :001_smile:

its arsenic, cca =copper cremated arsenic

Hi there. New here.

I do quite a lot of fencing for the Duchy of Cornwall on Dartmoor using a digger and postdriver, and for stock netting I charge about £4.50 a meter supplied and installed (minimum of 100 meters), a bit more if the ground conditions are an issue, and changes of direction which require strutting etc.

Another thing to thing to bear in mind is that some fencers used to use staples to attach the netting to the straining posts, and although this is far quicker and cheaper it is a major cause of fence failure when the staples fall out . It would be much better to either tye it off or use gripples, crimps etc. but again these cost a bit.