Kindling worth doing?

Will Cobb

Is kindling worth doing ive got abit of poplar that is over a year old and was thinking about splitting it up for kindling i would split it with tractor log splitter to begin with then use a hatchet to get it smaller. Is it worth doing or is it a waste of time? does anybody sale much?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to cut all of my kindling by hand but soon got bored of it. My firewood to kindling net ratio probably works at around 10:1. It's very time consuming, I don't think you can ever justify doing kindling by hand as being a sustainable method. Per the hour, you'll always earn more on the firewood. I'd always reccomend buying it in - you mite be giving someone else a slice of your pie but you'll end up selling a better product for less hassle :thumbup1:

I have a kindlet turbo 240v machine your welcome to hire it,my prices are as follows.

1 week £300

2 weeks£450

3 weeks£650

4weeks £800

i have a special offer if you book it for july or august you will only pay £750.00 for 4weeks hire,i charge £30 per 100miles for delivery and collection to cover my fuel and time .

to answer your question is it worth doing ,my answer to that is , if you have the material and the customers and there is good profit in it dont think to much about it just crack on. good luck

I looked into it but it seemed a lot of messing for not much money.

There's an old guy near us who sells it wholesale. I buy it at £1.20 a net and sell at £4.00 a net. I can't see how i could make any more money doing it myself.

There's an old guy near us who sells it wholesale. I buy it at £1.20 a net and sell at £4.00 a net. I can't see how i could make any more money doing it myself.

Thats not the spirit your supposed to spend £8000 on a machine then pretend your not working 14 hr days trying to save an extra 10p on a bag. Remember you want all the money not just the profit :biggrin:

This is my view too, i can buy it for £1.50inc vat a net and retail for £4.50 for no effort at all. I am very happy with this margin.

I am also finding that firelighters are good easy profit makers!