Help!

David oakman

I am not an expert, but I would be inclined to give it a crown clean, lightly reduce the lateral aspect (to growth points of course) being mindful of direction of future growth; put a layer of mulch (about 4" deep), and not worry if it does not produce fruit the next year, but wait until the second year with my fingers crossed. Did you say there are other Pear trees nearby, for pollination? Are there bees around to pollinate? If not, I would pollinate it myself. The same with the apple trees. After the first summer, I would do some more light pruning- crown clean, a light thin if regrowth was quite busy- if the tree responded well to the first pruning.

I enjoy pruning fruit trees. We have a number of Pear, and Apple trees- one of which might be a Bramley. I bit the bullet last year and removed quite a bit of its crown, as it is growing in a place where the light obliges it to grow mainly on one side, and the branches on the other half were almost bent in half trying to reach the light and presented with quite a bit of cracking, further encouraged by the weight of the apples. Poor tree looked quite unsightly after my brutality, but, to my joy, she put on quite a bit of growth and has produced plenty of delicious fruit this year, large good looking apples. I made an apple cobbler last week that was scrumptious.

We have a very old Apple at the front with a large hollow in the main stem; it was severely topped at some point (long before we moved in) so has a fairly small crown considering its girth. Every year, she produces hundreds of Apples. I thought last year's crop would perhaps be her swansong, but, lo and behold, she is laden this year. I tend to target prune it lighty so we can pass under it, and remove any dead wood, other than that I do not touch it. It is a charming tree :001_smile:

At the hall i have got 2 mullberry trees must be 2 or 3 hundred years old completly hollow with c stems far too heavy on the crown and we might loose them this winter i will try and reduse them safety is a big thing as the public visit the gardens:scared1:

Can you not exclude the public from the fz of the Mulberries?

I'ts my view that It's a genetic design of M's to split with age, always dislike seeing them reduced prematurely without thought given to temporarily managing a Tree and it's environment for the benefit of the Tree and not just the public.

(No dig David)

I really like the way that this species copes so well with failure and regenerates with such strong vigour.

Most of the best uk older specimens are layered.

We've got a nice 200yr old one that is resting on brick peers @ Keats House in Hampstead. Fruits fantastically, anyone ever jam the berries?

Got home from a couple of weeks away to find my neighbour had "coppiced" theirs after it had failed.

Really wish I had been there to advise. :sad:

P8250111.jpg.271666f3aba6239e3d194dc2683d1185.jpg

P8250110.jpg.a3f28c45d248b3001a9a29f88fde8f86.jpg

there is a mulberry, fairly old but nothing on those mentioned here, at Riseholme college where I trained. I has an incredible lean on the trunk. Props are used to support some of the branches. Fantastic trees. If i wasnt so impatient i would plant one at home. Love the fruit straight from the tree, no time for jam making!

This is a really good resource for all things apple:

http://www.orangepippin.com/

Of particular interest (but nothing to do with this thread) is the Articles on own root apple trees.

I think the best thing you can do with the old pear is to propagate a new tree from it and plant it in the Orchard. Then you can feel safe that the genetics of the tree will not be lost and it will allow you to leave the tree alone to age naturally, if appropriate. If you have to prune the tree I think thinning/reducing it gradually over a number of years would be better for it than doing it all in one go.

Thanks david but therre is no way of keeping the public away they are in the hub of the garden. props may be a good idea kev to keep people safe i have got to risk assess these trees in the next few weeks and decide what to do for the best.anyone fancy an afternoon saving trees from being cut down:001_smile:

David i liked the look of your job the wife would like to live near london, but i am not a climber and at 46 feel a little old to train as a monkey:001_smile:

Great place to visit but I am progressively moving out of the Big smoke, so far we've only reached the Big circular car park. :sad:

Aspiring to end up with something more akin to Yorkshiremans abode. Looks like good livin to me.

I'd stick with your neck of the woods David, and leave the concrete jungle to our fine Captains of industry :001_tongue:

and the penguins (tourists)