Help on Gowing Sweet Chestnut for Posts in N Ireland

What is the best wood for fence posts for fencing as i find softwood post are treable and do not last any time.due to the cost of fence post at the moment and the bad treaments.

i am condering planting some sc coppice but i am not shore about what condition it likes and i can not find any thing on yeilds classes, cost of coppicing exctra and ther is next to nothering in the way of forestry here so it can be hard to get adivice. but if ther are any wood that are better can you sugest them as well. and what gentic stock is better

i feel it would be viable to do this as it would easer and they would last longer.

this would be much apreached

NI Tree

how big posts are you on about? just 5.6 steaks or post and rail? chesnut does coppice well but idealy for post and rail it needs to take about 20 ish years to re coppice to a decent size.

Chesnut is one of the best fencing products around but im not sure if it would be viable for yo.

the time is what was worring me. out of couerosity what how long would you spect a sc posts to last.

i was conderin planting on a coulpe of small plots that are to small to farm easly and are harder to acess all the time for farming due to lack of our own acess. but i would be able to do it easer once in a while. but as a long term thing it might be better as i would mean less fencing

the time is what was worring me. out of couerosity what how long would you spect a sc posts to last.

i was conderin planting on a coulpe of small plots that are to small to farm easly and are harder to acess all the time for farming due to lack of our own acess. but i would be able to do it easer once in a while. but as a long term thing it might be better as i would mean less fencing

theres no reason why sc post wont last 20 year sometimes more. Is there no chesnut coppice at all where you are. Buying an exsisting plot and coppicing it would the best/cheapest thing and you havent got to wait 20 years for it to grow.

theres no reason why sc post wont last 20 year sometimes more. Is there no chesnut coppice at all where you are. Buying an exsisting plot and coppicing it would the best/cheapest thing and you havent got to wait 20 years for it to grow.

That is the problem i have. i do not know of any sc coppice in NI.

Northern Ireland is the least forested country in europe only less than 6% with about 99.9% of the saw logs produced by the forest service yearly.

Edited by NI Tree

That is the problem i have. i do not know of any sc coppice in NI.

Northern Ireland is the least forested country in europe only less than 6% with about 99.9% of the saw logs produced by the forest service yearly.

Id say you will struggle to get sweet chestnut to do well, I have a few trees planted down in offaly on good ground but they have very poor extension growth, the summers dont seem to be hot enough, They seem to do really well on an acid soil in the south of England.