Bay Laurel Health

Dean Lofthouse

Just been to look at a Bay Laurel Hedge to trim and I noticed the leaves were being eaten by something, there was like a white fluffy coating on the back of some of the leaves and they dropped off quite easily. There were all sorts of insects, greenfly, blackfly. So much so you had them flying all over when you went near.

I have recommended she spray the hedge with a weak detergent / water mix, see if it make a difference.

Did I recommend right ?

Just been to look at a Bay Laurel Hedge to trim and I noticed the leaves were being eaten by something, there was like a white fluffy coating on the back of some of the leaves and they dropped off quite easily. There were all sorts of insects, greenfly, blackfly. So much so you had them flying all over when you went near.

I have recommended she spray the hedge with a weak detergent / water mix, see if it make a difference.

Did I recommend right ?

Dean, I have used Detergent + water mix on my hedge and plants for blackfly and greenfly it seems to be working so far. I spray it a few times a week.

Ian

Dean, I have used Detergent + water mix on my hedge and plants for blackfly and greenfly it seems to be working so far. I spray it a few times a week.

Ian

Ordinary household detergent doesn't work! you need proper old fashioned soap flakes, salts of fatty acids in other words..

If I were you Dean I'd recommend some sort of bug spray available from B&Q, what sort of bugs are causing the probs wooley aphid?

Ordinary household detergent doesn't work! you need proper old fashioned soap flakes, salts of fatty acids in other words..

If I were you Dean I'd recommend some sort of bug killer available from B&Q

What more can i say, it's Worked for me .:001_smile:

what sort of bugs are causing the probs wooley aphid?

They were little black flies and some green fly, the white was probably caused by them, it was proper infested.

She said would her rose spray work, I said any mild insecticide would sort them.

So soap flake is the best then Lee?