Alpine butterfly

Steve Bullman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your throwline shot was'nt that great and your rope was set 1m or so from the branch union and your having trouble manipulating your rope back into the union.

send a alpine up and rest it on the top side of the limb and see saw it back towards the main stem and it will encourage the rope to advance back to the main stem.

also good for smashing small dead stups or small live epes for manipulating your rope.

ask mark bolam.

great trick, was shown it by a dutch guy called menno in NZ,works a treat.

enjoy.

if your throwline shot was'nt that great and your rope was set 1m or so from the branch union and your having trouble manipulating your rope back into the union.

send a alpine up and rest it on the top side of the limb and see saw it back towards the main stem and it will encourage the rope to advance back to the main stem.

also good for smashing small dead stups or small live epes for manipulating your rope.

ask mark bolam.

enjoy.

Indeed, works a treat.:thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

I hear from a gezzer i work with now & then who is into his industrial rope access wrk that it is a great knot because of bend radius & load bearing distributed through several areas.

I don't know this knot yet but will learn it soon as it's mid line application sounds good from the people i have chatted to.

ask mark bolam.

enjoy.

Top trick and if you need real violence then clip a couple of steel krabs into the loop... :D

can also be used to by pass a weak point in the line, i.e if your rope has small cut in it then you tie the knot with that cut in the loop as any pulling forces on the rope now by pass the loop, thus meaning you can get the job finished. also good for a foot loop, the mechanical adavntage is great wit hthe alpine but an IRATA tech said to me it can weaken the overall strength of the rope

• 2 weeks later...

Can make multiple loops, use as Bend, Bend several lines to 1. Use as 'handle' for bend point to leverage line after line is hyper tightened later (to tighten down, sweat more line, guide in lowering etc.).

We all used more loaded on loop for 3.1 etc., inline pull, but should realize this is a compromise from optimal pull perpendicular to line on loop and not to greater loading than legs of line on either side of eye.