PTO vs mounted engine chippers?

Root Beard

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you use to drive the chipper with, I have a 9" chipper being driven a 245hp unmog, all 9" tow behinds are very poor in comparison.

If I'm honest Skyhuck, its' for a college assignment. I've got to compare two power units and two transmission systems for a selected machine. So I've chosen a tow-behind and a PTO chipper. I've detailed how each machine is powered, but I'm struggling to evaluate the benefits of both. Not finding much related info on the web, thought I'd chance asking here.

Any thoughts? I'm assuming that a PTO would be more powerful and offer more torque?

At risk of sounding stupid but it depends on the machine driving the pto and what chipper i have used a 14" premier hanging of a little landini tractor great feed whole stems of beech in her but the tractor struggled with the load :confused1:

big chipper big tractor big bucks on the flip side tractor could lend its self to do other tasks (drag grain trailer full of the chippings) ?????????

the bigger the engine the quicker the chipper. As Huck says, Tow behinds working on their limits will be on the no stress all day, not chipping as quick and not throwing it so far. I run a 7" chipper on a 90hp Mog(probably lost a few horses over the years) i run it about 1500 revs on 1000 speed. It is effortless and the engine never drops, so great on fuel and the unit isnt struggling. Also you can get 2 pto chippers for the equivelant rd tow.

PTO chippers are much cheaper but you do have to have a tractor or a landy with a pto to be able to use them. With my pto chipper on my tractor i can go and chip in most loactions where it would be a pain to get a road tow too.

Just had a Bandit 150 out on demo i used a 70hp tractor and it worked brilliantly i then took it off and put it on a 90hp tractor and it was even better. If i had a bigger tractor it would no doubt work even better. Less no stress kicking in thus much higher chip production.

In my old job of domestic tree work and garden maintenance a pto chipper and a tractor wouldn't have been woth the investment but a small road tow was. Now i'm in forestry a pto chipper is invualable bit of kit.

PTO chippers are much cheaper but you do have to have a tractor or a landy with a pto to be able to use them. With my pto chipper on my tractor i can go and chip in most loactions where it would be a pain to get a road tow too.

Just had a Bandit 150 out on demo i used a 70hp tractor and it worked brilliantly i then took it off and put it on a 90hp tractor and it was even better. If i had a bigger tractor it would no doubt work even better. Less no stress kicking in thus much higher chip production.

In my old job of domestic tree work and garden maintenance a pto chipper and a tractor wouldn't have been woth the investment but a small road tow was. Now i'm in forestry a pto chipper is invualable bit of kit.

Excellent. Thanks! Know anything about vee-belt transmissions and why they're suitable for tow-behind chippers?

Just thought I'd chance asking! :confused1: