Silky slip!

RobRainford

You probably know this.

Before you buy a bigger first aid kit, have a good think about the dressings you could need for the injuries you might get. When I worked at a steel stockholders, the boss spent a lot of money on first aid kits, nice big shiny ones. Trouble was they only had a few very large dressings and a couple of triangular bandages. The things we worked with could have a finger, hand or arm off in a flash! When you need something to stem the blood flow, what use is a tube of Savlon and a sticking plaster then?

So he bought some air tight food containers to keep extra bandages and dressings in. They were all we ever needed really. We could have saved him a fortune if he had asked. (Obviously still needed the legally required first aid kits)

Do you get taught first aid as part of your job training?

Edited by richyB
speeling

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

them silkys are worse than top handles in my eyes, not many people see the dangers with handsaws till they get cut by one, me on the other hand have had about 10 silky cuts till ive learned get in a better position, or use a little sling and get your hand outta the way of holding it while cutting, here is a couple of mine the finger needed 4 stitches in A+E the other was on my wrist and just let that one do its thing.

DSC00305.jpg.ede26543317421a3b0776c4189a44a12.jpg

DSC00303.jpg.c91a3de8f5f6fa5a9724acbff52248ca.jpg

DSC00248.jpg.e68a9f928239c7aa71f75b9bcf2e35ef.jpg

thoose surgois are deadly man. took a good 1/4 off the top of my thumb many years ago, surgois lived in the shed since. i did finish that job, hours later the pain of them trying to pull it apart to clean it up was horrific.

heal up dude.

I think Silkys have this inner need to cut. It doesn't seem to matter if its wood or flesh/bone. People look at me strangely when I say to them BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE SILKY, but they soon learn! Lesson to self - if Silky falls out of your hand, don't try to catch it.

We were speculating the other day about how useful they would have been in the Napoleanic Wars or the Crimea. "Canon ball wound? No worries mate, let me get my Sugoi and away we go." :biggrin:

I hope you patch up soon.

happened me a few months ago but not as bad, was able to continue, damn sore for a week after especially at night. silky just as dangerous , always brings to mind the probability versus severity matrix on some risk assesments

I do think silkys are more dangerous than chainsaws. Saws you will respect and be more careful, why would you have your hand 1-2cm frm a chain spinning at 15m/s? But you have your hand next to a silky which is just as sharp and cuts wood justnas well, with them being sharper, the injuries are clean and can easily be deep cuts. Saws tear flesh, cuts may not be as deep though!

It's better already. I'll be cutting again on weds!

Gotta love the irony that your waving a silky around as your avatar :lol:

Haha indeed! Maybe I need a new avatar?

Fingers are much better. Slight ache on my index finger as it's the knuckle when moving. But got full use of both fingers again.