Which saw?

Rich Price

Alright kids?

I'm just starting out and wanted advice on best all-round chainsaw. Been told that Stihl 441 is a good all rounder but seems a bit big? A few hours swinging one of those about you're gonna feel it.

Will obviously need a 200t for climbing work but what d'ya reckon?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum Rich.

The MS260 is a superb saw for all day use. Light yet powerful enough for all small to medium trees. Now updated to MS261 - Can't vouch for the newer model, I hear it's a bit heavier but I'm sure it will still be a very good saw.

Hi Rich, I chose a 441 as my first ground saw, lovely saw but you do bored of the weight quite quickly! I find the 260/261s a little underpowered for my liking, I think the 361/362s are an excellent compromise between power and weight. Just my humble opinion.

All the best

Mike

i have a husky 346xp (silverside) and its fantastic, in my opinion it blows the old ms260 out of the water,, cant compent on the 261 cuz i havnt used one,,, i find the smaller stihls abit bulky feeling compaired to the husky saws ,,, id recomend a 346xp but the truth is you wont go wrong with either a 346xp or a ms261

Forgot to say Rich, a lot depends on what you intend to do.

A 441 is fine as a ground saw for arb, but it is too heavy in the woods.

As said earlier, Husky 346 or 357 would win there.

Can't comment on the 261, but you couldn't give me a 260. Awful, gutless saw.

stick with the 441 with a 20inch bar and a 200t mate thats what i did when i first when on my own

441 will make u more money than a smaller saw as u can cut up and fell bigger wood quicker

then buy a smaller saw when u can spare the cash

i done foot path clearance of 6 weeks when i first went on my own. clearing out stuff from 4inch to 20inch after the first 2 day i didnt notice the weight.

hope that helps i like stihl saws but what might be worth looking into is a husq 372xp alot of blokes on here reckon they are a great saw