Are these fungi decayers?

Arob

Have ID'd two fungi around the bottom of two trees and wonder if they are attacking the roots,

perhaps the most threatening is at the bottom of a lime which is dying back and becoming stag-headed and has been shedding small branches and twigs in winds over the past year or two (suspect original damage may be from development - site is around a decade old, road is a foot to a foot and a half lower than the base of the tree, and comes within a couple of metres of one side of the tree)

Also lots of epicormics (I know it's a lime), but there are a lot of epicormics.

Have ID'd fungi as Boletus felleus Bulliard ex Fries (aka Bitter Bolete or Sponge Cap) and am pretty confident in that ID. I first noticed fruiting bodies in spring, more have occurred just recently, and one is right up against the base of the tree.

I haven't got a good book on tree decay fungi - I checked Strouts and Winter but it's not in there, so maybe it's not a decayer, or maybe it's because Strouts and Winter are just covering main fungi, I don't know; can anyone advise on this fungus?

The second fungi, may be less significant, it's around a young maturing birch and is Russula delica Fries (aka Milk-white Russula) again cannot see in Strouts and Winter.

Thanks,

Ali :001_smile:

Ah, thanks Tony! :thumbup: Just bought my first tub of mycorrhiza and used for the first time yesterday when planting a Birch! Didn't even occur that it could've been that :001_smile:

Do you know about the Boletus? Unlike the Russula its associated with a tree showing signs of decline and could do some damage if it goes (is within striking distance of bungalow and a row of garages and a well used private road.

Also can you reccommend a decent book, I've got 'Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and Europe' which has a good key, but there's no mention of associations with Trees.

Thanks again.

I wasn't aware of any link between Boletus spp and tree decline. They are certainly noted for their mycorrizhal associations with various species and I think that their conspicous absence from tree decay texts hints at their impact.

Fungi by Spooner & Roberts (ISBN 0-00-220153-4) is a good book which lists known associations by tree species.

I would have thought maybe radial/vertical trenching? Lee may be the best person to explain this.

I agree Andy water in the spores before putting your mulch in the trenches, or mycor can be applied using an injection rig...

However you do it , idealy you want the spores to make contact with the roots..