Flue installation

I'm looking to put a twin wall flue in a self build we're doing. Just looking for some advice on bits I need. It's a 7m run, straight up from the ground to the stack. A space has been built into the gable end for a flue to go. Can I just get a run of 6m of twin wall and put it in? What's best to fix it at the top and the bottom? I'm planning to finish it in the space just above the hearth and then fit the stove a few months down the line.

Any experience much appreciated.

Dave

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

There are quite a few regulations. If it's a new build then it will need to be passed by building control or you can use a HETAS registered company.

The twin wall flue is fairly simple to erect. It's the regs concerning clearances and distances, fire protection that takes some learning.

Check out: http://www.specflue.com/regulations/DOC_J_2010.pdf for the latest building regulations. Also different stoves have different manufacturer requirements for clearances and such so you need to have an idea for what stove your going to install before you get started. Otherwise make sure you allow plenty of room so any stove will fit.

We use Poujoulat TI twin wall flue. It's some of the best on the market. There's a brand called Negarra but it's pretty ugly and cheap. You get what you pay for.

If you are going to do this yourself (which of course you should not) then just make sure you read and fully understand the regulations. Particlularly concerning clearance to combustibles etc.

Putting it all together is fairly simple but for god's sake don't burn your house down to save a few quid. Your insurance will be void if you do a DIY install and it goes wrong I believe.

There are quite a few regulations. If it's a new build then it will need to be passed by building control or you can use a HETAS registered company.

The twin wall flue is fairly simple to erect. It's the regs concerning clearances and distances, fire protection that takes some learning.

Check out: http://www.specflue.com/regulations/DOC_J_2010.pdf for the latest building regulations. Also different stoves have different manufacturer requirements for clearances and such so you need to have an idea for what stove your going to install before you get started. Otherwise make sure you allow plenty of room so any stove will fit.

We use Poujoulat TI twin wall flue. It's some of the best on the market. There's a brand called Negarra but it's pretty ugly and cheap. You get what you pay for.

Agreed 100%. Recommend you get an independant HETAS registered installer in to look at and quote the install and sign off. Poujoulat TI is excellent, its all I use as well. You might consider bringing the twin wall all the way down to the appliance ( stove) and having it powder coated to match the stove. TI as it comes is shiny stainless steel, not what most want in their front rooms. Just use a powder coater who knows what he is about.

Make sure the stove is the right size for the room, if you are unsure about this I have a calculator in my web site, pm me for details. Are you in a smoke control area, if so you will need a DEFRA approved stove, most manufacturers have DEFRA models.

Just dont buy cheap chinese crap !!, you will be replacing it in 3 or 4 years.

A

You might consider bringing the twin wall all the way down to the appliance ( stove)

I would advise against this as you could gain a fair bit of extra warmth from the heat being radiated and convected off a single wall pipe (especially if it runs all the way up to the ceiling)

Keep it single wall within the room you want to heat and double wall beyond there to maintain flue temperature and draw.

Enjoy your stove !

I have left the twin skin flu totally exposed where it runs through my bathroom, I made up a rail round it and building control was happy. The heat radiated from it when my stove is up to temp is superb, it warms the bathroom and bedroom really well.

I am very pleased I ignored the Architect and didnt box it in. I love the look of the S/S flu and think of it as a feature for the room.

Really cant see the benfit of running the twin skin pipe right down to the stove either though!

I would advise against this as you could gain a fair bit of extra warmth from the heat being radiated and convected off a single wall pipe (especially if it runs all the way up to the ceiling)

Keep it single wall within the room you want to heat and double wall beyond there to maintain flue temperature and draw.

Enjoy your stove !

But the join from a 125mm stove pipe to a 235mm od 150mm TI twin wall pipe is pretty ugly, ask any woman, it's they who usually have the last say on how things look!. If you need that bit of extra heat from the pipe the stove is too small.

A

I have left the twin skin flu totally exposed where it runs through my bathroom, I made up a rail round it and building control was happy. The heat radiated from it when my stove is up to temp is superb, it warms the bathroom and bedroom really well.

I am very pleased I ignored the Architect and didnt box it in. I love the look of the S/S flu and think of it as a feature for the room.

Really cant see the benfit of running the twin skin pipe right down to the stove either though!

This is illegal under the building regulations, did you get it signed off as being safe?, that is another legal requirement. I cant see anyone signing that off as being safe.

A towel or clothes coming into contact with the exposed pipe will ignite, if as a result the house burns down you will, if not signed off be in major trouble. You will be fined for the failure to sign off, ( one guy in Loughboro was fined 4,300 recently), your insurance company will also refuse to pay out. The guy from Loughboro lost his house and all his posessions and was fined on top.

A